Graduation / Commencement
Students planning to graduate should review the Apply To Graduate instructions found on the official Northeastern University Commencement website.
How to Apply to Graduate:
- Log onto the Student Hub (me.northeastern.edu).
- Click the “Resources” link and scroll to the Graduation Information section.
- Choose the Apply to Graduate option and complete the questionnaire.
- If you receive an error message or your program information is incorrect, please contact your academic advisor in the Graduate School of Engineering by emailing email@example.com and do not complete the application until it is rectified.
The Apply to Graduate form is required and provides your college/school, the Office of the Registrar and the Commencement Office with the critical information needed to serve you. Failure to complete the application or late application will affect your access to ceremony guest tickets, printing of your diploma, participation in the ceremony, inclusion in the printed ceremony program, and other deadline driven components.
If you encounter an error message when attempting to apply, please contact your Graduate School of Engineering Academic Advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completing both a degree and a certificate program?
You must first complete the Apply to Graduate form for the certificate program, then your degree, in that order. If you complete the form for your degree program first, the system will lock you out and you will not have access to the form for the certificate. The order matters in this application process for those earning a certificate along with their primary degree.
If you receive an error message, please email email@example.com with your NUID and the error message you receive.
You must first complete the application to graduate for your secondary program, the MS degree. The correct gown type to select on this application is “Master’s”. The second application should be for your primary program, the BS degree. The correct gown type to select here is “Bachelor’s”. [At this time, the Commencement Office is not collecting ceremony RSVP or gown information.]
The Graduate School of Engineering clears you to graduate with your Master’s Degree. Your undergraduate student services advisor clears you for your Bachelor’s Degree.
Graduation Clearance Procedures
In order to earn a degree in the graduate program in which a student is enrolled, he or she must complete must complete the following:
- Complete all program and departmental requirements per their catalog year in a satisfactory manner.
- Attain a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.000 or higher in all courses applied toward that degree and exclusive of any prerequisite courses required of students admitted provisionally to their program. A student must also earn a grade of C or higher in all required core courses. Please note that individual programs may have additional requirements.
- Be registered in their last semester of study, including and especially those in thesis or dissertation continuation. Students finishing their requirements in the summer semester must be registered in Full Summer, Summer 1 or Summer 2.
- All students must initiate the graduation clearance process. By registering for graduation via your myNortheastern account. This will place your name on the graduation list and start the graduation clearance process. If you receive an error message when you try to Apply to Graduate, please email your Graduate School of Engineering Academic Advisor.
- Review your academic transcript for accuracy. Unofficial transcripts are available via your myNortheastern account. Contact your academic advisor with any questions regarding your transcript.
- Ensure that you have met all departmental requirements, such as the required number of semester hours. If you haven’t done so already, submit a petition form to your academic advisor for courses you have taken that are outside the list of approved electives for your program or for core course waivers.
- Ensure that all of your financial obligations have been met. Please contact Student Financial Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, to verify your status. In order for your diploma to be released, financial obligations must be met before the graduation date.
- Your academic record will be reviewed by the Graduate School of Engineering and you will receive an email during the last semester of your study regarding any outstanding academic requirements for graduation.