Coastal engineering and science, particularly in the development and application of state-of-the-art numerical models to address coastal resiliency and sustainability.
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Old Dominion University in collaboration with Danish Hydraulic Institute
- M.Sc. Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Hohai University, China
- B.Sc. Civil Engineering, Hohai University, China
- Liu, K., Chen, Q., Hu, K., Xu, K., and Twilley, R., 2018. Modeling hurricane-Induced wetland-bay and bay-shelf sediment fluxes. Coastal Engineering, 135: 77-90.
- Hu, K., Chen, Q., Wang, H., Hartig, E., and Orton, P., 2018. Numerical modeling of salt marsh morphological change induced by Hurricane Sandy. Coastal Engineering, 132: 63-81.
- Zhu, L. Chen, Q., Ding, Y., Jafari, N., and Rosati, J. D., 2018. A semi-analytical model of depth-integrated vegetal drag force based on Stokes second-order wave theory. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, accepted.
- Chen, Q., Wu, W., and Zhu, L., 2018. Recent developments in numerical modeling of coastal hydrodynamics and sediment transport.” Advances in Coastal Hydraulics, edited by Vijay Panchang and James M. Kaihatu, World Scientific. pp145-198.
- Everett, T., Chen, Q., Karimpour, K., and Twilley, R., 2018. Quantification of swell energy and its impact on wetlands in a deltaic estuary, Estuaries and Coasts, DOI: 10.1007/s12237-018-0454-z
- Xu, G., Chen, Q., and Chen, J., 2018. Prediction of solitary wave forces on coastal bridge decks using artificial neural networks. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 23 (5): 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001215.
- Yuan, P., Xu, G., Chen, Q., Cai, S., 2018. Framework of practical performance evaluation and interface design for bridge deck-wave interaction. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 23 (7): 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001260.
- Xu, G., Chen, Q., Zhu, L., and Chakrabarti, A., 2018. Characteristics of the wave loads on coastal low-lying bridges with twin decks. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 32 (1): 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001128.
- Zang, Z., Xue, Z., Bao, S., Chen, Q., Walker, N., Haag, A. S., Ge, Q., and Yao, Z., 2018. A numerical study of sediment dynamics during Hurricane Gustav. Ocean Modeling, 126: 29-42.
- Liu, J., Liang, J.-H., McWilliams, J. C., Sullivan, P. P., Fan, Y., and Chen, Q., 2018. Effect of planetary rotation on oceanic surface boundary layer turbulence, J. Phys. Oceanography. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-17-0150.1
- Zhu, L., and Chen, Q., 2017. Effects of triad interactions on wave attenuation by vegetation. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 143 (9): 04017100.
- Zhu, L. and Chen, Q., 2017. Modeling attenuation of highly nonlinear water waves by rigid vegetation: A comparison of different wave theories, Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 143 (5), 04017029.
- Xu, G., Cai, S. C., and Chen, Q., 2017. Countermeasure of air venting holes in the bridge deck-wave interaction under solitary waves, Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000937. Volume 31, Issue 1.
- Karimpour, A., Chen, Q. and Twilley, R. R., 2017. Wind wave behavior in fetch and depth-limited estuaries. Scientific Reports, 7, 40654; doi: 10.1038/srep40654 (2017).
- Wang, H., Chen, Q., Hu, K., Snedden, G., Hartig, E., Couvillion, B., Johnson, C., and Orton, P., 2017. Numerical modeling of the effects of Hurricane Sandy and potential future hurricanes on spatial patterns of salt marsh morphology in Jamaica Bay, New York City. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2017–1016, https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20171016.
- Chakrabarti, A., Brandt, S. R., Chen, Q., Shi, F., 2017. Boussinesq modeling of wave-induced hydrodynamics in coastal wetlands. Journal of Geophysical Research, 122: 3861-3883.
- Karimpour, A., and Chen, Q., 2017. Wind wave analysis in depth-limited water using OCEANLYZ, a Matlab Toolbox, Computers and Geosciences, 106: 181-189.
- Wang, H., Chen, Q., Hu, K., and LaPeyre, M. K., 2017. A modeling study of the impacts of Mississippi River diversion and sea-level rise on water quality of a deltaic estuary. Estuaries and Coasts, DOI 10.1007/s12237-016-0197-7. 40 (4): 1028-1054.
- Wang, H., Chen, Q., LaPeyre, M.K., Hu, K., LaPeyre, J. F., and Lively, J. A., 2017. Predicting the impacts of Mississippi River diversion and sea-level rise on eastern oyster growth and production. Ecological Modeling, 352: 40–53.
- Chakrabarti, A., Chen, Q., Smith, H. and Liu, D., 2016. Large eddy simulation of unidirectional and wave flows through vegetation, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 142 (8): 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001087, 04016048.
- Chen, X., Chen, Q., Zhan, J. and Liu, D., 2016. Numerical simulations of wave propagation over a vegetated platform. Coastal Engineering, 110: 64-75.
- Chen, X., Zhan, J., Chen, Q., and Cox, D., 2016, Numerical modeling of wave forces on movable bridge decks. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 21 (9): 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000922.
- Liu, D., Zheng, Y.-L. and Chen, Q., 2016. Simulation of flow around rigid vegetation stems with a fast method of high accuracy, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 63: 1-15.
- Mao, S., Chen, Q., Li, D., and Feng, Z., 2016. Modeling of free surface flows using improved material point method and dynamic adaptive mesh refinement, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 142 (2): 04015069.
- Karimpour, A., Chen, Q., and Twilley, R., 2016. A field study of how wind waves and currents contribute to the deterioration of saltmarsh fringe, Estuaries and Coasts, 39 (4): 935-950. doi:10.1007/s12237-015-0047-z.
- Zhan, J.M., Chen, X., and Chen, Q., 2016. Numerical simulations of 2D floating body driven by regular waves, Journal of Hydrodynamics, 28 (5): 821-931.
- Zhao, H. and Chen, Q., 2016. Modeling attenuation of storm surge over deformable vegetation: Parametric study. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 142 (8): 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001109, 06016006.
- Karimpour, A., and Chen, Q., 2016. A simplified parametric model for fetch-limited peak wave frequency in shallow estuaries. Journal of Coastal Research, 32 (4): 954-965.
- Liu, K., Chen, Q., and Kaihatu, J. M., 2016. Modeling wind effects on shallow water waves. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 142 (1): 04015012.
- Ole A., Zhang, N., Brandt, S., and Chen, Q., 2016. Implementation of an infinite height levee in CaFunwave using an immersed-boundary method. Journal of Fluid Engineering, 138 (11): 111103, DOI: 10.1115/1.4033490.
- Xu, K., Mickey, R. C., Chen, Q., Harris, C. K., Hetland, R., Hu, K., and Wang, J., 2016. Shelf sediment transport during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Computers and Geosciences, 90: 24-39.
- Twilley, R. R., Bentley, S. J., Chen, Q., Edmonds, D. A., Hagen, S. C., Lam, N., Willson, C. S., Xu, K., Braud, D.W., Peels, R. H., and McCall, A., 2016. Co-evolution of wetland landscapes, flooding and human settlement in the Mississippi River Deltaic Plain. Sustainability Science, 11 (4): 711-731. 10.1007/s11625-016-0374-4.
Jan 30, 2019
CEE/COS Professor Jim Chen and his Coastal Hydrodynamics Lab are studying the development and application of state-of-the-art computational models to address coastal resiliency and sustainability.
Jan 03, 2019
CEE/COS Professor Qin Jim Chen is leading a $866K CyberSEES NSF grant, in collaboration with Louisiana State University and Texas A&M University, for “A Coastal Resilience Collaboratory: Cyber-enabled Discoveries for Sustainable Deltaic Coasts”.
May 21, 2018
Congratulations to the four COE teams out of eight total receiving 2018 Seed Grant funding from the Global Resilience Institute (GRI). The resilience project topics range from coastal flooding prediction to combatting opioid addiction. This year’s pool of proposals was particularly robust, with submissions demonstrating both strength in their interdisciplinary approaches and in their promise […]