Change of Major
The Change of Major process pertains to current Northeastern University undergraduate day school students. Only Northeastern undergraduate day school credentials are considered in the Change of Major process. Coursework completed prior to matriculation in the Northeastern undergraduate day school will not be considered.
Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor in the requested major. Program requirements and foundational coursework will be discussed at this time. Appointments may be made online through the myNortheastern appointment calendar.
After meeting with an academic advisor, complete and submit this petition by
- For a change of major effective Summer 1 – Monday of the 9th week of the Spring semester
- For a change of major effective Summer 2 – Monday of the 5th week of the Summer 1 semester
- For a change of major effective Fall – Monday of the 5th week of the Summer 2 semester
- For a change of major effective Spring – Monday of the 9th week of the Fall semester
Academic records are reviewed at the end of the term. Students will be notified after grades are posted.
A major change will be processed for students who meet direct admission criteria, effective in the following term. After admission into the College of Engineering, students may register for courses restricted to College of Engineering students.
Direct Admission Criteria
- Minimum cumulative Northeastern Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0
- Grade of B- in one required math course and one required science course as indicated in the current engineering curriculum (Spring 2020 courses graded Passing or D- or higher will also be considered)
- No more than one deficiency (I, W, U) in any previous math or science coursework as indicated in the current curriculum
Students who do not meet the direct admission criteria will be allowed a transitional term the following semester while remaining in their home college. To be eligible for a transitional term, students must be in good academic standing, with a cumulative Northeastern undergraduate day GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Transitional Term Criteria
- Students must complete a minimum of 12 semester hours (full-time student status)
- Each transitional term student must review their planned schedule with the academic advisor for their intended major and complete a Transitional Term Agreement Form, the terms of which must be agreed to by the academic advisor and student, and are considered binding to complete the change of major into the college.
- Students must earn a term GPA of 2.7 or higher during the Transitional Term, with no math, science or engineering grade below a B-.
Important Note: Only one term may be taken on a transitional basis. Students who do not achieve entry to the College of Engineering after a transitional term must have a discussion with their home college academic advisor to identify another major.