We are a leader in experiential education and interdisciplinary research, focused on engineering for society.
Started in 1909 and built on a tradition of engagement with the world, the mission of the College of Engineering at Northeastern University is to:
- Educate students for a lifetime of continued growth, fulfillment, and accomplishment.
- Create and translate knowledge through transformative research to address the Engineering Grand Challenges to meet global and societal needs through innovation.
Our distinctive model of experiential learning, anchored by our signature cooperative education program, combined with our leadership in interdisciplinary research to advance society and better the world, makes us one of the top engineering schools in the world.
Our program is designed to:
- Integrate rigorous classroom study with hands-on experiences, like cooperative education, creating a powerful way to learn.
- Offer flexible and interdisciplinary programs, from entrepreneurship to the arts, to enable students to personalize their journey.
- Prepare students to address the ever-evolving complexities of the world through a range of global experiences for work, research, study, and service.
- Drive discovery to global challenges through 17 multidisciplinary research centers and institutes with funding by eight federal agencies.
- Provide a diverse and inclusive community that welcomes and supports students from all around the world with a variety of backgrounds.
With 185 highly accomplished tenured and tenure-track faculty, 17 multidisciplinary research centers and institutes, 50-plus student organizations, and nearly 100 bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees, minors, and graduate certificates, students gain a rich education in their chosen field. Today, the college has a global network of over 45,000 alumni who are shaping the future through bold and boundless innovation.
Located in Innovation Hubs
Northeastern is located in the heart of Boston which has one of the highest concentrations of engineers in the United States. Boston is also an international capital of medicine and technology innovation, and a center for academia. More than 350,000 students from around the world pursue their degrees at a variety of universities in the area. Rich in the arts and music, Boston is one of the most historic and beautiful cities in the United States.
In addition to Boston, some graduate engineering programs are offered at Northeastern’s vibrant campus locations in Seattle, Washington, and in Silicon Valley in California. These campuses are strategically located in regional innovation hubs.
Student Enrollment - 2018
Freshmen Are Women
Academic Quick Facts (AY2019-20)
BS, MS, PhD, minors, and Certificates
External Research Funding (2019)
Research Centers and Institutes
Young Investigator Awards (as of Sept. 2019)
Experiential Learning - 2018
Co-op Placements (BS, MS, and PhD)
Countries with Employer Partners