R. Edward Beighley
Hydrologic and hydraulic modeling; remote sensing of the hydrologic cycle; hydrologic impacts of climate and/or land use change; flood hazard and risk assessment
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland, 2001
- M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1996
- B.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1995
Honors & Awards
- 2017 COE Faculty Fellow
- 2014 selected as U.S. Hydrology Applications Lead for the Surface Water and Ocean Topography (SWOT) Satellite Mission
- 2013 Team Award for advancing worldwide understand of flood hazards, FM Global, Research Division
- 2009 San Diego State University President’s Top-25 Award for excellent contributions to the University
- 2006 National Aeronautics and Space Administration, New Investigator Award in Earth-Sun System Science
- American Geophysical Union
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Environmental and Water Resources Institute
- F. Schenck, T.C. Hanley, R.E. Beighley, A.R. Hughes, Phenotypic Variation Among Invasive Phragmites Australis Populations Does Not Influence Salinity Tolerance, Estuaries and Coasts, 41(3), 2018, 896–907
- R. Raoufi, and R.E. Beighley, Estimating Daily Global Evapotranspiration Using Penman–Monteith Equation and Remotely Sensed Land Surface Temperature, Remote Sensing, 9(11), 2017, 1138
- T. Yuan, H. Lee, H.C. Jung, A. Aierken, E. Beighley, D.E. Alsdorf, R.M. Tshimanga, D. Kim, Absolute water storages in the Congo River floodplains from integration of InSAR and satellite radar altimetry, Remote Sensing of the Environment, 201, 2017, 57-72
- Kim, D., H. Lee, A. Laraque, R.M. Tshimanga, T. Yuan, H.C. Jung, E. Beighley, C.H. Chan, Mapping Spatio-Temporal Water Level Variations Over the Central Congo River using PALSAR ScanSAR and Envisat Altimetry Data, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 38(23), 2017, 7021-7040
- F. Hossain, E. Beighley, S. Burian, J. Chen, A. Mitra, D. Niyogi, R. A. Pielke, D. Wegner, A Review of Approaches and Recommendations for Improving Resilience of Water Management Infrastructure: The Case for Large Dams, ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 23(4), 2017
May 07, 2019
Two Northeastern Civil and Environmental Engineering PhD students, Cassandra Nickles and Katherine Vilardi, received 2019 Graduate Research Fellowships from the National Science Foundation (NSF). This highly prestigious and selective program has historically awarded only 10% of applicants. According to the NSF, “Fellows are anticipated to become knowledge experts who can contribute significantly to research, teaching, and innovations […]
Apr 29, 2019
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2018-2019 academic school year. See Full Photo Gallery Faculty Fellow Matthew Eckleman, CEE Yongmin Liu, MIE Outstanding Teacher of First Year Engineering Students Joseph Depasquale, Chemistry Brian O’Connell, FYE Sumi Seo, Mathematics Matthew […]
Dec 06, 2018
Max Rome, PhD in Civil Engineering ’21, recently led a team of four who were awarded a grant from the inaugural Sasaki Foundation Design Awards.
Jan 25, 2018
The new Environmental Engineering major offered in Civil and Environmental Engineering was highlighted in The Huntington News article College of Engineering establishes new major.
May 03, 2017
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2016-2017 academic school year. Faculty Fellow Edward Beighley, CEE Yun Raymond Fu, ECE Tommaso Melodia, ECE Rising Star Staff Award Erin Schnepp, Undergraduate Academic Advising Carolina Venegas-Martinez, CEE Outstanding Teachers of First Year […]
Mar 30, 2017
Congratulations to this year’s class of COE Faculty Fellows: Ed Beighley, Raymond Fu, and Tommaso Melodia.
Aug 18, 2016
CEE Associate Professor Edward Beighley receives a $651K NASA grant for "Integrating lateral contributions and longitudinal controls along river reaches to improve SWOT discharge estimates".
Mar 20, 2014
19 COE faculty were recipients of FY15 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 11 different projects representing over $500K dollars of investment in research.
Aug 01, 2013
Edward Beighley joins the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in the Fall 2013 semester as an Associate Professor. He holds B.S. and M.S. degrees in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University and a Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Maryland, where he focused on quantifying the hydrologic […]