Energy Systems Example Co-op Job Descriptions
Position 1. Energy Efficiency Co‑op
Co-op student will assist various departments in the processing and administration of energy efficiency programs. Students will serve as the “point person” for a specific energy efficiency program and are responsible for all aspects of implementation planning, delivery, customer service, vendor management and financial and statistical record keeping.
Students will be exposed to broad based energy efficiency/green energy technology and programs. Student will assist with business development, research and application processes.
Duties may include:
- Processing Energy Efficiency applications such as secure manufacturer specifications sheets & invoices from vendors.
- Review application and savings calculations and follow up for missing documents.
- Attend meetings with customers, vendors and third-party engineering firms.
- Follow up on meeting action items
- Monitor project completion dates and follow up with customers for status updates
- Retrieve any missing customer information to process applications utilizing data systems if necessary
- Research new energy efficiency technologies.
- Utilize excel for data analytics and reporting
- Knowledge of MS Office, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Student should be working towards a degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering. Junior/Senior/Graduate level student preferred.
- Excellent communication skills via phone, email, or in person
Position 2. Energy Modeler
The Energy Modeler’s job is to create an energy model of a house from blueprints. Using Plan Swift software (similar to Sketchup), the energy modeler will scale and measure the surface areas and volume of the building, creating a report which gets copied into the Ekotrope energy modeling software which produces the HERS Rating (Energy Rating). Houses and buildings are not always simple boxes, so this person must be able to visualize what is going on in odd conditions of the house, ask the important questions, and make a decision of what is most accurate. Most of the calculation is done by automatic formulas with specific inputs, but understanding the math behind it is important for accurate modeling.
- Ability to read construction drawings
- Interest/background in building science
- Experience with AutoCAD helpful
- Solid/superior math and geometry skills
- Access to reliable transportation
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work independently.
- Experience with the GSuite and Microsoft Office.
*We will provide training in the use of Ekotrope and PlanSwift software.
- Shows Initiative
- Time Management
- Decision Making
- Communication Proficiency
- Organization building and management skills
- Total Quality Management
- Customer/Client Satisfaction
- Results Oriented
Position 3. Solar Marketplace Co‑op
We’re accelerating the adoption of clean energy by bringing the shopping experience online, and are looking for a few talented people to help us take on this challenge.
The Solar Marketplace Intern furthers this mission by ensuring the solar suitability of properties in the marketplace. With primary responsibility for vetting property information including solar panel locations, electricity usage, and customer inquiries, this role supports the matchmaking between solar shoppers and solar companies. Background in solar energy is great to have for this role, but most important are enthusiasm for clean energy technologies and a commitment to excellence in customer service.
For the right candidate, this opportunity will develop new expertise and experience in the growing solar industry. This includes the requirements of solar PV system design and the solar shopping process, as well as the challenges of making this process more efficient and scalable via an online marketplace.
- Evaluate consumer properties and property information for solar suitability
- Identify monthly and annual electricity usage to inform solar PV system sizing
- Follow-up with customers for additional information, as required
- Active participation in brainstorming sessions and feedback during team and company meetings
- Offered training/participation in other projects which include but are not limited to: creating solar projects (roof draws) and vetting potential installer partners
- Opportunity to create Tableau reports should that be of interest
- Self-motivated, initiative-driven problem solving mentality
- Strong written communication skills
- Able to work efficiently while maintaining high quality standards
- Positive, upbeat personality with no fear of talking to strangers
- Comfortable with a start-up environment; ability to wear multiple hats, switch gears quickly and pitch in where needed
- Familiarity with solar energy technologies (preferred)