Operations Research Example Co-op Job Descriptions
Position 1. Operations Research Science Intern
As an Operations Research Scientist you will use your experience to develop new strategies to improve the performance of our systems and networks. Working closely with fellow research scientists and product managers, you will use your experience in modeling, statistics, and simulation to design models of new policies, simulate their performance, and evaluate their benefits and impacts to cost, reliability, and speed of our fulfillment network.
Our teams are looking for experience in network and combinatorial optimization, algorithms, data structures, statistics, and/or machine learning. This position requires superior analytical thinking, and ability to apply their technical and statistical knowledge to identify opportunities for industrial research. You should be able to mine and analyze large data, and be able to use necessary programming and statistical analysis software/tools to do so.
- Enrolled in a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, or similar technical field
- 2+ years’ experience working with statistics and probability, particularly their application in systems analysis and operations research
- Fluency in at least one programming or scripting language (ex., Python, Java, C, C++)
- Experience with SQL and Statistical/mathematical programming software packages (ex., R, SPSS, CPLEX, LONDO or Xpress etc)
- Experience in problem solving and data analytics
- Enrolled in Ph.D. in relevant discipline (see basic qualifications)
- Experience with inventory planning and supply chain management (forecasting, planning, optimization, and/or logistics)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with data mining on large datasets (“big data”)
Position 2. Business Intelligence Operations Co-op
We seek a talented and motivated Operations Research engineer who possess a combination of analytical, problem solving, technical, and communication skills to optimize the performance of our systems. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity and be able to create and maintain efficient and automated processes. They know and love working with business intelligence tools, can model multidimensional datasets, and can partner effectively with business leaders to answer key business questions. They are capable of prioritizing multiple deliverables and effectively communicating progress and blockers. They should feel comfortable working across multiple data-sources, and be capable of participating in and understanding how multiple systems communicate information to one-another.
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of scalable solutions for ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to support analytical and business needs
- Identify process and system improvement opportunities by monitoring existing metrics, analyzing data, and partnering with internal and operational teams
- Manage and execute projects from start to finish including data gathering and manipulation, statistical modeling, and communication of insights and recommendations
- Write queries to pull data needed with standard query syntax; periodically identify more advanced methods of query optimization. Convert data to make it analysis-ready
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, design, analysis, validation, and documentation
- Working towards Bachelors or Master’s degree in an analytically rigorous field (Data Science, Statistics, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, Econometrics)
- Experience building dashboards in Tableau or other relevant data visualization tool (Looker, PowerBI, Grafana, etc.)
- Write high-quality SQL queries to retrieve and analyze complex datasets
- Basic understanding of Python, R or other relevant scripting language
- Experience using quantitative methods to evaluate product/system/service performance
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across stakeholder groups
- Background in applied statistics or data science
- Understanding of ETL processes
- Previous experience or interest in business intelligence, data engineering, system engineering or operations engineering
- Knowledge of AWS (e.g Athena, Sagemaker, S3, EC2, RDS)
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis experience with demonstrated impact to a project or business use case, a track record of creative problem solving, and the desire to create and build new processes
- Experience with machine learning methods
Position 3. Product Advanced Analytics Co-op
We are seeking an Advanced Product Analyst Co-op on the Product Management team to help evolve the product experience. As a part of the product team, you’ll partner with a team of designers, product managers, data analysts, and engineers to help define, build, iterate, and test on the future of our product.
- Use quantitative analysis to understand funnels, user behaviors, and long-term trends in the adoption and usage of our products.
- Partner with engineers and designers to run experiments to determine the best user experiences to maximize growth.
- Learn from and iterate on these experiments to maximize impact.
- Deliver strong data-based recommendations on the best path forward for the business based on experiment results, and influence the product team to implement your recommendations.
- Participate in primary and secondary research to understand the competitive landscape of the industry and provide insights into growth opportunities.
- Develop customer problem statements, solution ideation, and product planning
- Experience in making analytical, data-driven decisions and communicating the results of analyses
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills. Experience with SQL or data analytics tools such as Looker, Tableau, Amplitude preferred
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced startup-like environment
- Passion for our industry
- Graduate student preferred