Electrical Engineering Example Co-op Job Description
Position 1. Hardware Test Engineer
- Support development prototype testing on high-end routing technology platform projects
- Work with a variety of rework personnel, technicians, engineers, and project managers in a prototype R&D environment (not production line)
- Bringup, debug, test, and allocation of prototype hardware
- Running test scripts and diagnostics on PCBs
- Troubleshooting to component level
- Assembly & installation of systems
- Loading of EPLDs
- Configuring systems, testing, and diagnosing errors
- Updating systems with new hardware and firmware
- Tracking parts distributed to development groups, alpha, and beta customers using inventory database system
- Generating tracking reports
- Occasionally provide direction to rework or test technicians
- Able to participate as a team member
- Able to work independently
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Good written and spoken communication skills
- Able to test and troubleshoot boards to component level
- Familiarity with UNIX operating system
- Ability to use spreadsheets, word processor, databases, and email
- Ability to troubleshoot systems
- Hands-on knowledge of oscilloscopes, DVMs, logic analyzers
- Familiarity with Cisco (or other) networking products
- Familiarity with HTML
Position 2. Electrical Engineer – Lighting
A leading lighting company is driving the switch to energy-efficient solutions. With worldwide electrical lighting using 19 percent of all electricity, the use of energy-efficient lighting will significantly reduce energy consumption around the world and thereby cut harmful CO2 emissions. The company provides advanced energy-efficient solutions for all segments: road lighting, office and industrial, hospitality, and home. The company is also a leader in shaping the future with exciting new lighting applications and technologies such as LED technology, which, besides energy efficiency, provides attractive benefits and endless new “never-before-possible” lighting solutions.
The company is focused on the development of LED lighting solutions primarily in the architectural and entertainment industries. This position is within the product development department. We are looking for a candidate pursuing an EE degree. The primary tasks will be:
- Design and layout of printed circuit boards using schematic entry and layout design tools.
- Kitting PCBs and assembly of surface mount and throughhole components onto printed circuit boards using reflow and manual soldering techniques.
- Lab testing of electrical designs using electronic measurement equipment such as oscilloscopes, voltmeters, and other lab equipment.
- In-system functional testing of tested PCBs.
At the co-op level, projects typically will involve leveraging and adjusting existing designs to meet the needs of new applications under the guidance of an experienced design engineer.
Other duties such as light machine shop work and other miscellaneous tasks related to engineering may be assigned.
Position 3. Electrical Engineering – Robotics
The following position description is for a robotics engineering support position. The duties of this role include but are not limited to: supporting senior staff in the development of robotics and supporting technologies, organizing and coordinating vendors and component procurements, coding of specific functionality and debugging software, electrical assembly, and testing and troubleshooting of robotic and other systems. The candidate will be exposed to design, development, analysis, assembly, test, and implementation of various technologies related to robotics and other engineering industries.
A successful candidate is someone who has a desire and a hunger to learn accompanied with a strong work ethic. This candidate should be able to see the “big picture,” realizing that engineering is not simply developing a subcomponent but that there are interfaces within the system and with the real world that must be attended to. In addition, this candidate must be able to work independently with the ability to solve problems, be creative, and add value to the efforts of the group without extensive supervisor interaction. This job is goal- and team-oriented with multitasking and setting intermediate goals being important components. The ideal candidate will feel comfortable with hands-on analog, digital, power, and software components. Be prepared to have fun, learn much, and work hard in a professional environment.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Solid grasp of the primary electrical/software engineering major courses: circuit analysis, signal analysis, control systems, high level and/or assembly languages, computer systems architecture.
- Experience with design CAD packages such as OrCAD, AutoCAD, or equivalent.
- Hands-on experience including basic wiring, soldering, crimping, use of power supplies, oscilloscopes, and other essential laboratory equipment.
- Programming and hardware/software interfacing with 8/16 bit controllers and/or 16/32 bit DSPs, including experience with programming/debugging environments and tools.
- Good communication and documentation skills.
- Understanding theory of operation of motors, drives, servos, sensors, and batteries as well as how they interact from a robotics perspective.
- Experience with MS Office products.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with unmanned underwater and/or unmanned ground vehicles.
- Additional coursework such as robotics theory, feedback control theory, linear algebra, neural networks and artificial intelligence, digital signal processing, and analog system design.
- Experience with additional robotics-related components such as vision systems, GPS, ultrasonic and infrared distance sensors, encoders, accelerometers, gyros, compasses, etc.
- Experience with autonomous, mobile robotics programming, including behavioral algorithms.
- Experience with high level software architecture and object oriented programming.
- Knowledge and experience in robotic power systems including batteries, design for low power, motor drives, high power and digital power supplies, etc.
- Working knowledge of modeling/simulation software such as Matlab/Simulink.
- Practical experience relating to PCB component selection, electrical noise, shielding, over-current protection, and general protection of electronic components.
Position 4. Embedded Systems Engineer
An industry leader in coffee brewing technology in the U.S.
Coffee brewers are controlled with 8/16/32-bit microcontrollers. The company’s design philosophy is simple, reliable and low cost. Implementing this philosophy requires unique, talented and experienced engineers. The electronics include basic analog and digital circuitry and microcontroller firmware for sensing events and controlling the brewer. Most of the peripheral circuits such as the A/D converter and pulse width modulator are included in the MCU.
Typically, the design process begins with a feasibility study and simple circuit simulation. Following are schematic capture, PCB layout, components selection, PCB assembly and firmware development. This process is a total team effort. As a member of the electronics design group, the candidate shall be involved with all phases of brewer electronics design with primary focus on the software development.
- Computer, Software, or Electrical Engineering or Computer Science major with strong academic standing
- Previous experience required
- Embedded C, C++, and/or Assembly language experience required
- Microchip PIC development experience desirable
- Familiarity with basic electrical circuits required
- Must be a results-oriented individual contributor committed to team success and willing to do the simple or complicated tasks required to move the project forward
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Must be able to work effectively with all levels of personnel, including management, engineers, technicians, and temporary employees
- Ability to uphold safety standards, participate in continuous process improvement on the job, and follow our manufacturing best practices
Position 5. Electrical Engineer – Radar Systems
This position is for an engineer interested in a broad area of electrical engineering. The ideal candidate should have strong academic credentials and experience working in a team environment, having not only academic but also interpersonal skills to help optimize our teams. The single most important attribute is an inquisitive nature and a strong desire to learn real world applications to complement your academic experience. Familiarity with hardware or software tools should be at a level that is appropriate for your academic level.
The candidate should be interested in working in a highly motivated team environment, collaborating with a small team of engineers through the development of state of the art radar systems.
- Interest in any of the following areas: digital hardware, analog circuit design, power systems design, computer architecture, signal processing, embedded software/firmware, hardware/software test development.
- The successful candidate should be a proactive leader in the software or hardware development arena who thrives in a collaborative team environment.
Division has responsibility for the following areas:
- Phased Array Radar design – RF/microwave antenna design
- Power and Electronic systems design
- Receiver & Exciter Design – REX System Analysis, Exciter Design, Receiver Design, Low Noise Sources, Simulation and Modeling, Metrology, Integration and Test
- Mixed Signal Design – Receiver A/D Converters, Direct Digital Converters, Receiver D/A Converters, Digital Waveform Generators, Mixed Signal CCAs, Mixed Signal Modules and Subsystems
- Digital Hardware – Subsystem/Module Digital Circuits, FPGA/ASICs, Beam Steering, Mixed Process/Photonics/Sensors, COTS systems, COTS interfaces, Subsystem Development, VME/PCI
- Digital Systems – System Trades, Architecture, Embedded Processing
- Software Design – Real-time Signal Processing, Beam Steering, Embedded Software
- Photonics Design – Fiber Optic Communication, Optical Control
- Test Development – Hardware and/or Software Test Program Set generation, for testing radar, communication, missile, combat control systems, subsystems and components for various programs.
Position 6. Graphics Verification Engineer
This position is for a verification engineer in the company’s graphics verification group working on next- generation high performance graphics architectures. Responsibilities will include test development, debug, triage, documentation, and working with the design team to ensure performance and functional goals are met.
- Pursuing BS/MS in EE, CS, CSE
- Experience with Verilog, C/C++, Perl required
- Background and interest in computer graphics a strong plus
- Candidates should have at least one digital design course under their belts, plus be experienced in C, Verilog, and Perl or some other scripting language.
Position 7. Electrical Sensors and Radar – Automotive
Company is a world leader in automotive safety systems. They develop and manufacture automotive safety systems for all major automotive manufacturers in the world.
Sensor HW Design group is looking for someone interested in digital/analog circuit design to help perform design verification on a mixed signal circuit board assembly (microcontrollers, CPLD, power supply, DACs, A/D, op-amps, etc.). Tasks would involve lots of lab time measuring and recording signals with oscilloscope and logic analyzer, working with schematics and layout documents, and organizing and documenting results.
Position 8. Electrical Engineer – Semiconductor Memory Products
Corporation has developed technology enabling the computer and Internet revolution that changed the world. The design team has a rich history in microprocessor design. Circuit design engineers are responsible for creating VLSI circuit designs to realize the architecture of microprocessors. This process encompasses digital logic design, simulation, schematic design, circuit analysis, device characterization, circuit verification, physical integration, and floor planning.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Transistor or logic level circuit design to implement micro-architecture features.
- Performing circuit simulation and analysis of timing, power usage, reliability, and functionality.
- The creation and optimization of design environments, tools, capabilities, and methodologies.
- Useful courses and skills include digital logic, device physics, VLSI design, computer architecture, and circuit analysis. Exposure to hardware description languages (VHDL, Verilog, etc.) is a plus.
Position 9. Electrical Engineer – Medical Devices
We have an immediate opening for an Electrical Engineer to help develop new implantable medical devices and accessories and assist with product design validation. You will be responsible for various aspects of product development including digital/analog/microprocessor based electronics design, circuit board layout, materials procurement, prototype fabrication, and design validation. Qualified candidates should have an understanding of low power systems, embedded microprocessors, real-time systems, and analog and digital signal processing and experience using OrCAD or similar EDA tools.
An entry level engineer with a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or an equivalent track is required.
We enjoy an exciting environment for engineering professionals, working with a wide variety of technologies in a broad range of medical devices that spans from sophisticated electro-mechanical implantable drug delivery systems to left ventricular assist device systems to telemetry systems and ancillary equipment. We normally have young engineers working here all year long so you will have the opportunity to not only work with our seasoned professionals but your contemporaries as well. Depending on your education level and ability, there are opportunities to gain independence and responsibility quickly. You will be challenged, learn, and work on medical devices you can relate to that will some day change the lives of thousands of people.
Our mission is to provide world-class medical device design, development, and validation to our clients. Our unique niche is that our team possesses years of experience in the design, development, and validation of implantable electromechanical diagnostic and therapeutic medical devices. If you are seeking a challenging opportunity that will have you working on cutting edge medical device technologies such as the first ever fully implantable blood pressure monitoring system, cutting edge design of a left ventricular assist device (LVAD), implantable drug delivery devices and more, Company may be the right fit for you. We feel a co-op which challenges your engineering skills working on medical devices that will change the lives of millions of people is a special opportunity that provides immeasurable gratification.
Position 10. Hardware Design – Consumer Products
3 different positions:
Company is currently seeking enthusiastic EE, CE, or EE/CS majors to support electrical and system design and integration of Mac computers. The candidate will be assigned tasks that support the design, integration, implementation, testing, and qualification of various electrical sub-systems.
Responsibilities include schematic capture, signal characterization (timing, crosstalk, spec compliance) of prototype systems, system-level testing support and bug resolution, and/or diagnostics script development.
- Familiarity with computer systems architecture, digital logic design, and digital and analog circuit analysis.
- Ability to interpret schematics and have exposure to physical design and debugging of circuits via FPGA or PCBs.
- Working knowledge of computer programming languages and Mac-OS or Unix operating systems.
CAMERA DESIGN ENGINEER
The group is looking for a Camera Engineer Intern with responsibilities for evaluation, qualification, implementation, and tuning of camera subsystems in company’s products. Duties include research into both current and future camera technologies, working with both product design and electrical engineering to physically and electrically integrate the parts, tuning the solution for optimal image quality, and design of production line testing setups.
The applicant should be familiar with megapixel CMOS image sensor technology, lens selection and qualification, and implementation of camera systems in mobile products, and have expert knowledge of imaging algorithms (auto-exposure, auto white balance, etc.). Experience with mobile communication products is an advantage.
- Pursuing a BS/MS EE or equivalent
- Good fundamental EE skills
- CMOS image sensor experience including interfacing and tuning
- Knowledge of imaging algorithms (AE, AWB, etc.)
- Experience with prototyping solutions and camera bench testing methodology
ALTERNATIVE ENERGY ENGINEER
The New Tech team is looking for an intern to work on alternative energy generation and alternative energy storage (including but not limited to batteries).
- BS/MS EE in progress, plus some knowledge of one other area such as chemistry, nanotech, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Ability to work with the battery engineering team, understand the language and converse with them.