The Graduate School of Engineering at Northeastern is a top-ranked and highly selective R1 research university, with an innovative educational approach that combines rigorous academics with experiential learning, including our signature cooperative education program. Our curriculum equips students with a solid foundation for technical and leadership positions in industry organizations, government laboratories, research laboratories, and educational institutions. Programs are available on a full time or part-time basis. Courses are offered on campus as well as some in online/hybrid formats providing flexibility for working professionals. We invite you to learn about the Graduate School of Engineering at Northeastern and Apply to join our community of talented engineering graduate students to expand your knowledge and advance your career in your chosen field.
Applications received after the stated deadline dates will be accepted and processed when complete as quickly as possible; however it may not be possible to have a decision rendered in time for the applicant to begin taking classes for the desired term if admitted.
|Early Action Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Fall Semester Entry|
|PhD Applicants (All)||December 15||June 1|
|International (MS) Applicants (outside the U.S.)||January 15||June 1|
|International (MS) Applicants (inside the U.S.)||January 15||July 1|
|Domestic (MS) Applicants||January 15||August 1|
|MS Applicants to Online Programs||N/A||August 1|
|Spring Semester Entry|
|International Applicants (outside the U.S.)||N/A||September 15|
|International Applicants (inside the U.S.)||N/A||November 1|
|Domestic Applicants||N/A||December 1|
|MS Applicants to Online Programs||N/A||December 1|
Applications submitted by the above referenced dates will receive full consideration for the referenced term. Applications received after the above referenced dates will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note: In order to be minimally qualified to pursue admission through the Graduate School of Engineering, a candidate must have successfully completed or is in the process of completing an undergraduate bachelors degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or its equivalent from a foreign college or university. Any offer of admission is contingent upon a candidate’s successful completion of an undergraduate bachelors degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or its equivalent from a foreign college or university.
- Application. The application is to be completed online. (Paper applications are not accepted.)
- Application Fee. $75 USD to be paid online by credit card
The application fee is waived for all applicants applying to the MS in Telecommunication Networks.
Note to applicants from Iran: For inquiries related to difficulties and delays regarding payment of the application fee, please send an inquiry and include a copy of your resume/CV via email attachment using the following site: https://coe.northeastern.edu/admissions/help
- Two Letters of Recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be from individuals familiar with technical, professional, and personal qualifications
- Transcripts. Unofficial copies are required at the time of application submission. Applicants may arrange to mail final, official transcripts to the Graduate School of Engineering after they are admitted, if they are admitted. To upload transcripts to your application properly follow the below steps:
- Create scanned versions of your transcripts in PDF format (up to 500 KB in size)
- When prompted to do so in the application, upload and attach transcripts to the online application
- Scanned transcripts must be readable and include all courses, grades, (i.e. marks, scores, etc.) and credits completed to date.
- If available, please ensure that the scanned documents should also include information pertaining to the institution’s grading scale. Typically such grading scale information is on the backside of the documents or is on a separate page. If there is no grading scale readily available, please still upload your transcripts.
- International transcripts must be uploaded in English. If transcripts are not in English, please arrange to have official English translations made. Translations provided by applicants themselves are not acceptable.
- Foreign credential evaluations of transcripts (such as WES) are not required or needed.
- Statement of Purpose.
- GRE. The GRE is waived for all Spring 2022 applicants for all programs.
- Optional Standardized Testing: Northeastern University is GRE test-optional for the 2022-2023 academic year and does not require applicants to submit standardized testing to be considered for admission. We understand the uniquely challenging circumstances our applicants are facing in the 2021-2022 academic year. Northeastern is committed to partnering with you, your family, and your educational institution to support your individual needs.
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo. Applicants who are non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents, regardless of the applicant’s undergraduate language of instruction must submit official TOEFL, IELTS, and/or Duolingo scores.
Applicants are exempt from the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo exam requirement if they hold (or will hold) a degree from an accredited institution located in the United States of America, Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Ireland, South Africa, Nigeria, Uganda, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Minimum Score Requirement:
TOEFL: 79 overall (internet-based)
IELTS: 6.5. overall
- Sending Scores:
TOEFL: Send scores via ETS, Institution code is 3665; no department code is needed.
IELTS: Official IELTS score reports should be uploaded as a PDF directly to your application in which the Test Report Form (TRF) number is visible. This number can be found in a text box towards the bottom right of your IELTS score results page. If uploaded correctly, we will verify your IELTS scores online and you will not need to send hard copies of the score report.
Duolingo: Upon completion of the test, please select College of Engineering at Northeastern University to receive your scores
- If you do not meet the minimum TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo requirements and you are intending to apply to a graduate engineering program at the master of science level, you are encouraged to apply first to Northeastern University’s Global Pathways Program, where you can boost your English language skills and academic knowledge before beginning your engineering coursework.
- Eligibility to Apply. Generally to be qualified for admissions consideration, applicants are required to hold (or be pursuing) an undergraduate engineering or technology degree in a closely related major. Students with non-engineering bachelor’s degrees are eligible for some graduate engineering degree programs. View available programs and eligibility requirements.
Note that every element of any applicant’s background is considered in the admissions process, that there is no single factor that determines whether or not a candidate is admitted, that there are no guarantees of admission for any applicant, and the decision rests solely with the appropriate faculty admissions committee.
Students with non-engineering bachelor’s degrees are eligible for some graduate engineering degree programs. View available programs and eligibility requirements.
The International Enrollment Management Global Team has established open drop-in office hours for prospective, admitted or current students. See times below.
|Region||Days and Times||Language|
|South Asia & Europe||Wednesday|
6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. India time
(9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time)
8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Beijing/China Time
(8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time)
4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Thailand time
(5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. Eastern Time)
8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Taiwan time
(8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Eastern Time)
|Latin America & Caribbean||Wednesday|
8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m Brazil time
(7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time)
|Middle East & Africa||Wednesday|
5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m West Africa time
(12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Eastern Time)
Contact an International Recruitment Global Representative. Use the following email addresses:
- firstname.lastname@example.org (China, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and Mongolia)
- Southemail@example.com (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bhutan)
- SEfirstname.lastname@example.org (Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore, and the Philippines)
- LATAM@northeastern.edu (anything south of the US/Mexico border)
- email@example.com (Middle East and North Africa)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (rest of world)
Are you interested in admissions consideration to more than one graduate level Master of Science program offered by the College of Engineering? Note that the graduate application will allow applicants to select their primary program of interest, but applicants can also indicate their interest in one to two additional, alternative programs. Before you apply, we encourage you to explore our entire menu of Master of Science programs to determine your programs of highest interest so you can make the most appropriate selections within the application.