The Graduate School of Engineering at Northeastern is a top-ranked and highly selective R1 research university, with an innovative educational approach that combines rigorous academics with experiential learning, including our signature cooperative education program. Our curriculum equips students with a solid foundation for technical and leadership positions in industry organizations, government laboratories, research laboratories, and educational institutions. Programs are available on a full time or part-time basis. Courses are offered on campus as well as some in online/hybrid formats providing flexibility for working professionals. We invite you to apply to join our community of talented engineering graduate students to expand your knowledge and advance your career in your chosen field.
Applications received after the stated deadline dates will be accepted and processed when complete as quickly as possible; however it may not be possible to have a decision rendered in time for the applicant to begin taking classes for the desired term if admitted.
|Funding/Early Action Application Deadline||Regular/Final Application Deadline|
|Fall Semester Entry|
|PhD Applicants||December 15||July 1|
|International Applicants (outside the U.S.)||January 15||May 15|
|International Applicants (inside the U.S.)||January 15||July 1|
|Domestic Applicants||January 15||August 1|
|Remote/Online Applicants||N/A||August 1|
|Spring Semester Entry|
|International Applicants (outside the U.S.)||N/A||September 15|
|International Applicants (inside the U.S.)||N/A||November 1|
|Domestic Applicants||N/A||December 1|
Applications submitted by the above referenced dates will receive full consideration for the referenced term. Applications received after the above referenced dates will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note: In order to be minimally qualified to pursue admission through the Graduate School of Engineering, a candidate must have successfully completed or is in the process of completing an undergraduate bachelors degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or its equivalent from a foreign college or university. Any offer of admission is contingent upon a candidate’s successful completion of an undergraduate bachelors degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or its equivalent from a foreign college or university.
- Application. The application is to be completed online. (Paper applications are not accepted.)
- Application Fee. $75 USD to be paid online by credit card
Note to applicants from Iran: For inquiries related to difficulties and delays regarding payment of the application fee, please send an inquiry and include a copy of your resume/CV via email attachment using the following site: https://coe.northeastern.edu/admissions/help
- Two Letters of Recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be from individuals familiar with technical, professional, and personal qualifications
- Transcripts. Unofficial copies are required at the time of application submission. Applicants may arrange to mail final, official transcripts to the Graduate School of Engineering after they are admitted, if they are admitted. To upload transcripts to your application properly follow the below steps:
- Create scanned versions of your transcripts in PDF format (up to 500 KB in size)
- When prompted to do so in the application, upload and attach transcripts to the online application
- Scanned transcripts must be readable and include all courses, grades, (i.e. marks, scores, etc.) and credits completed to date.
- If available, please ensure that the scanned documents should also include information pertaining to the institution’s grading scale. Typically such grading scale information is on the backside of the documents or is on a separate page. If there is no grading scale readily available, please still upload your transcripts.
- International transcripts must be uploaded in English. If transcripts are not in English, please arrange to have official English translations made. Translations provided by applicants themselves are not acceptable.
- Foreign credential evaluations of transcripts (such as WES) are not required or needed.
- Statement of Purpose.
- GRE. Applicants may apply with or without reporting test score results. Note that in the past, the GRE was required of most applicants. The requirement has been suspended and will not be required by Northeastern University, although applicants are welcome to submit scores voluntarily. The university’s “test-optional” policy applies to graduate students applying for the 2021-22 academic year. For applicants who would like to apply and voluntarily submit GRE test score results, please arrange to have scores sent through ETS via the institution code 3665. No department code is required. Note that applicants will also have the option to self-report GRE test scores when prompted to do so on the application, and they may also upload copies of their test-taker score reports. See the official Northeastern University announcement regarding this topic for more information.
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo. Applicants who are non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents, regardless of the applicant’s undergraduate language of instruction must submit official TOEFL, IELTS, and/or Duolingo scores.
Applicants are exempt from the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo exam requirement if they hold (or will hold) a degree from an accredited institution located in the United States of America, Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Ireland, South Africa, Nigeria, Uganda, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Minimum Score Requirement:
TOEFL: 79 overall (internet-based)
IELTS: 6.5. overall
- Sending Scores:
TOEFL: Send scores via ETS, Institution code is 3665; no department code is needed.
IELTS: Official IELTS score reports should be uploaded as a PDF directly to your application in which the Test Report Form (TRF) number is visible. This number can be found in a text box towards the bottom right of your IELTS score results page. If uploaded correctly, we will verify your IELTS scores online and you will not need to send hard copies of the score report.
Duolingo: Upon completion of the test, please select College of Engineering at Northeastern University to receive your scores
- If you do not meet the minimum TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo requirements and you are intending to apply to a graduate engineering program at the master of science level, you are encouraged to apply first to Northeastern University’s Global Pathways Program, where you can boost your English language skills and academic knowledge before beginning your engineering coursework.
- Eligibility to Apply. Generally to be qualified for admissions consideration, applicants are required to hold (or be pursuing) an undergraduate engineering or technology degree in a closely related major.
Bioengineering applicants with any engineering or science degree (e.g. Biology, Chemistry) are acceptable.
Chemical Engineering applicants with Biology or Chemistry undergraduate degrees are acceptable.
Data Analytics Engineering applicants who hold a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields are academically qualified for admissions consideration: Applied mathematics, mathematics, statistics, physics, chemistry, computer science, or quantitative business (e.g. economics, finance, information systems).
Energy Systems applicants with quantitative business or finance majors are acceptable if candidates also have some background in computer science and calculus.
Engineering Management applicants with mathematics or physics majors with linear algebra and multivariable calculus, or students of any major with the equivalent background in mathematics as an engineering major are acceptable.
Information Systems applicants with any science, engineering, or other technical major are acceptable as long as the candidate provides evidence of technical or programming skills. Information Systems Bridge applicants must be non-STEM majors.
Mechanical Engineering applicants with majors in applied physics are acceptable.
Operations Research applicants with majors in any science discipline including computer science and mathematics are acceptable; other majors considered are economics, business, or other liberal arts with some background in calculus and linear algebra.
Sustainable Building Systems applicants with majors in any engineering, or science degree are acceptable; candidates with majors in architecture or who have some background in the built environment are also considered for admission.
Telecommunication Networks applicants with majors in mathematics, physics, or computer science are acceptable.
Note that every element of any applicant’s background is considered in the admissions process, that there is no single factor that determines whether or not a candidate is admitted, that there are no guarantees of admission for any applicant, and the decision rests solely with the appropriate faculty admissions committee.
The International Enrollment Management Global Team has established open drop-in office hours for prospective, admitted or current students. See times below.
|Region||Days and Times||Language|
|South Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe||Wednesday
6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. India time
(9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. EDT)
|South Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe||Thursday
6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. India time
(9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. EDT)
8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Beijing/China Time
(8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. EDT)
2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Beijing/China Time
(2:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. EDT)
4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Thailand time
(5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. EDT)
8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Taiwan time
(8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. EDT)
America & Caribbean
6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m Colombia time
(7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT)
Use the following email addresses:
- email@example.com (China, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and Mongolia)
- Southfirstname.lastname@example.org (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bhutan)
- SEemail@example.com (Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore, and the Philippines)
- LATAM@northeastern.edu (anything south of the US/Mexico border)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Middle East and North Africa)
- email@example.com (rest of world)
Are you interested in admissions consideration to more than one graduate level Master of Science program offered by the College of Engineering? Note that the graduate application will allow applicants to select their primary program of interest, but applicants can also indicate their interest in one to two additional, alternative programs. Before you apply, we encourage you to explore our entire menu of Master of Science programs to determine your programs of highest interest so you can make the most appropriate selections within the application.