- This event has passed.
Creative Expression Workshop Series: The Eloquent Bilingual Speaker
August 3, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
TUESDAY, AUGUST 3, 2021
2:00 – 4:00pm
Venue: Boston Campus, details to follow soon
Sign up via this FORM.
NU College of Engineering and the Department of Theatre (CAMD) are excited to host in-person creative expression workshops that help foster confidence building, reflexivity, collaboration and more.
This workshop is designed by and for non-native speakers of English to improve our eloquence in personal and professional interactions. Participants will learn how to free the habitual tensions, holding patterns and inefficient uses that block the clear communication of thoughts and ideas. The playful yet demanding exercises are designed to help enhance the quality of the spoken voice, as well as the clarity and resolve with which we express ourselves. The basic progression of exercises include:
· Discover the skeleton & spine;
· Stimulate breath;
· Awaken and encourage resonance;
· Invigorate articulation;
· Learning the International Phonetic Alphabet as a tool to recognize clear English speech sounds and to swiftly adjust pronunciation;
After participating in the series, team members may be able to:
· Practice relaxation, resonance and expressiveness in the use of their voice;
· Experience more confidence in their ability to command the attention of an audience.
INSTRUCTOR: Antonio Ocampo-Guzman, Associate Professor & Chair of the Department of Theatre