- 360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
- 441 Snell Engineering Center
structural dynamics; wind engineering; wind energy; wind-induced vibration; fluid-structure interaction; linear and nonlinear cable dynamics; climate change
Luca Caracoglia is an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA. He joined Northeastern University in 2005 and was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor withTenure effective September 1, 2011.
He received his Ph.D. in Structural Engineeringfrom the University of Trieste, Italy in 2001. He joined Northeastern University in January 2005 after one year as a post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Civil Engineering at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland (USA) and two and a half years as a post-doctoral research associate in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois(Urbana-Champaign, USA).
His interests are in structural dynamics, randomvibrations, passive structural control, wind engineering, fluid-structure interaction of civil engineering structures, linear and nonlinear cable network dynamics, wind-based energy harvesting systems. Luca Caracoglia received the NSF-CAREER Award in 2009.
- Ph.D., University of Trieste, Italy, Structural Engineering, 2001
- 5-year Diploma, University of Trieste, Italy, Civil Engineering 1997
- Professional Engineer: Italy
Honors & Awards
- 2019 Full Professor, National Scientific Habilitation (Accreditation), Scientific Discipline ICAR 08/B2, Civil Engineering/Structural Mechanics (“Scienza delle Costruzioni”), Directorial Decree 2175/2018, Ministry of Instruction, University and Research, Italy (2019-2025);
- 2019 Full Professor, National Scientific Habilitation (Accreditation), Scientific Discipline ICAR 08/B3, Civil Engineering/Structural Design (“Tecnica delle Costruzioni”), Directorial Decree 2175/2018, Ministry of Instruction, University and Research, Italy (2019-2025);
- 2010 ASCE Outstanding Reviewer Award
- 2009 Faculty Early CAREER Development Award. National Science Foundation
- 2004 Winner of a Travel Fellowship, awarded by the Engineering Mechanics Division of the American Society of Civil Engineers, to attend the 17th Engineering Mechanics Conference, University of Delaware
- 2000 Winner of a Study Fellowship, “Short-term mobility program of researchers”, sponsored by the Italian National Research Council (CNR) – Department of International Exchanges; visiting-scholar program at the Johns Hopkins University
- 1999 Winner of a Study Fellowship, “Short-term mobility program of researchers”, sponsored by the Italian National Research Council (CNR) – Department of International Exchanges; visiting-scholar program at the Johns Hopkins University
Affiliations to Other Colleges or Universities
- Member, International Faculty Board, International Doctoral Program in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Perugia, Italy
- American Association for Wind Engineering
- American Institute of Steel Construction
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Italian National Association for Wind Engineering
- Society for Experimental Mechanics
- L. Caracoglia, Modeling the Coupled Electro-Mechanical Response of a Torsional-Flutter-Based Wind Harvester with a Focus on Energy Efficiency Examination, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 174, 2018, 437-450
- V. Le, L. Caracoglia, Computationally Efficient Stochastic Approach for the Fragility Analysis of Vertical Structures Subjected to Thunderstorm Downburst Winds, Engineering Structures, 176, 2018, 152-169
- W. Cui, L. Caracoglia, A Unified Framework for Performance-Based Wind Engineering of Tall Buildings in Hurricane-Prone Regions Based on Lifetime Intervention-Cost Estimation, Structural Safety, 73, 2018, 75-86
- W. Cui, L. Caracoglia, A Fully-Coupled Generalized Model for Multi-Directional Wind Loads on Tall Buildings: A Development of the Quasi-Steady Theory, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 78, 2018, 52-68
- F. Rizzo, L. Caracoglia, Examination of Experimental Errors in Scanlan Derivatives of a Closed-Box Bridge Deck, Wind and Structures, 26(4), 2018, 231-251
- L. Ierimonti, I. Venanzi, L. Caracoglia, Life-Cycle Damage-Based Cost Analysis of Tall Buildings Equipped with Tuned Mass Dampers, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 176, 2018, 54-64
- G. Abbiati, V. La Salandra, O.S. Bursi, L. Caracoglia, A Composite Experimental Dynamic Substructuring Method Based on Partitioned Algorithms and Localized Lagrange Multipliers, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 100, 2018, 85–112
- T.H. Le, L. Caracoglia, Computer-based Model for the Transient Dynamics of a Tall Building during Digitally Simulated Andrews AFB Thunderstorm, Computers and Structures, 193, 2017, 44-72
May 23, 2019
CEE Associate Professor Luca Caracoglia is hosting the 1st Northeastern University – Tongji University Workshop on Wind Engineering this week to discuss the latest research on how wind effects structure design.
May 08, 2019
Caracoglia Granted Two Concurrent Habilitations as a Full Professor by the Italian Ministry of Instruction, University and Research
CEE Associate Professor Luca Caracoglia was granted two concurrent Full Professor Habilitations (accreditations) by the Italian Ministry of Public Instruction, University and Research (MIUR).
Mar 21, 2019
CEE Chair Jerome Hajjar, Associate Professors Andrew Myers, Luca Caracoglia, and CCSH Professor Jennie Stephens are researching ways to build safe and effective offshore wind farms that have the capacity to power the entire country.
Mar 15, 2019
CEE Associate Professor Luca Caracoglia was awarded a $260K NSF grant for “Stochastic Approximation Algorithms for Wind-Induced Dynamics of Next-Generation Tall Buildings and Tower Structures.”
Jun 13, 2016
Researchers from around the world gathered last week to discuss how best to analyze the construct tall buildings, bridges, and other non-streamlined bodies to stand up to high winds at the 8th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Applications.
Sep 30, 2015
CEE Associate Professor Luca Caracoglia was awarded an $155K NSF for "Active Control of Nonlinear Flow-Induced Instability of Wind Turbine Blades under Stochastic Perturbations".
Sep 11, 2014
Congratulations to CEE Associate Professor Luca Caracoglia who was recently awarded an NSF award to support his research assessing dynamic response of tall buildings and wind-turbine towers to transient wind loads due to downburst windstorms, a meteorological phenomenon that induces an outburst of damaging wind loads near the ground.
Nov 14, 2011
On November 12, 2011, Northeastern University's Wind Engineering Research Group hosted the Second U.S.-Japan Workshop on Structural Dynamics and Monitoring of Bridges and Flexible Structures against Wind Hazards.
Apr 06, 2011
28 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY12 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 18 different research projects.
Mar 11, 2011
Congratulations to Luca Caracoglia, Assistant Professor, and Jerome F. Hajjar, Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, for being selected as 2010 Outstanding Reviewers for their review activities for two refereed journals published by the American Society of Civil Engineers.