Dr. Hertz earned a B.S. in Ceramic Engineering from Alfred University in 1999 and then a Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2006. Following this, he worked at the National Institute of Standards and Technology as a National Research Council postdoctoral fellow. He joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Delaware as an Assistant Professor in September 2008, leading a lab that researched the effects of composition and nanostructure on ionic conduction and surface exchange in ceramic materials. In 2014, he moved to Northeastern University to focus on teaching and developing curriculum in the First Year Engineering program.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering
- Alfred University B.S., Ceramic Engineering
- J.L. Hertz, S.F. Freeman, “gruepr, an open source tool for creating optimal student teams,” 2020 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, paper ID#29362 (2020)
- J.L. Hertz, R. Whalen, C. Mukasa, J. Sangster, “4th time around: do classes get better with instructor repetition?” 2020 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, paper ID#29367 (2020)
- J.L. Hertz, N. Daviero, “We own this: a class patent system as experiential learning,” 2019 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, paper ID#25363 (2019)
- J.L. Hertz, “Confidently uncomfortable: first year student ambiguity tolerance and self-efficacy on open-ended design problems,” 2018 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, paper ID#23114 (2018)
- W. Shen, J. Jiang, C. Ni, Z. Voras, T.P. Beebe, J.L. Hertz, “Two-dimensional vacancy trapping in yttria-doped ceria,” Solid State Ionics, 255, p. 13 (2014)
- B.E. McNealy, J.L. Hertz, “Numerical modeling of a non-flooding hybrid polymer electrolyte fuel cell,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 38, p. 5357 (2013)
- J.L. Hertz, A. Rothschild, H.L. Tuller, “Highly enhanced electrochemical performance of silicon-free platinum—yttria stabilized zirconia interfaces,” J. Electroceramics, 22, p. 428 (2009)
- B. Raman, J.L. Hertz, K.D. Benkstein, S. Semancik, “Bioinspired methodology for artificial olfaction,” Anal. Chem., 80, p. 8364 (2008)
- J.L. Hertz, H.L. Tuller, “Micro fuel cell,” US Patent 7,871,734
Apr 26, 2021
Congratulations to our engineering students who won awards at the RISE:2021 Research, Innovation and Scholarship Expo!
Sep 10, 2020
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2019-2020 academic school year.
Jul 01, 2020
College of Engineering faculty, staff, and students, published and presented virtual papers at the American Society for Engineering Education – Virtual National conference.
Aug 05, 2019
First Year Engineering Associate Teaching Professor Joshua Hertz led a group of students on a new Dialogue of Civilizations trip to Belize, where they explored how ancient civilizations produced materials.
Jun 26, 2019
Associate Teaching Professor Joshua Hertz and BS/MS student in Mechanical Engineering Noah Daviero received a Best Paper Award (2nd Place) at the 2019 American Society for Engineering Education annual conference for their paper, “We Own This: A Class Patent System as Experiential Learning.”
Dec 14, 2016
First-year engineering students in Assistant Teaching Professor Joshua Hertz's Cornerstone of Engineering course built new electronic percussion instruments for their team design projects and worked with a local musician, Maria Finkelmeier, to test them.
Jul 20, 2016
Assistant Teaching Professor Joshua Hertz is leading a group of students to Brazil during Summer II as part of a Dialogue of Civilizations program to study Alternative Energy.
May 05, 2015
Congratulations to the 2015 winners of the COE Faculty and Staff Awards: Outstanding Teachers of First Year Engineering Students Thomas Gilbert, Chemistry Joshua Hertz, Engineering Marco Rainho, Mathematics Swastik Kar, Physics Martin W. Essigmann Outstanding Teaching Award Marvin Onabajo, ECE Outstanding Cooperative Education Coordinator Award Alison Nogueira, MIE Outstanding Staff Award Roy Dalsheim, Student Services Susan […]
May 05, 2015
Congratulations to the 2015 winners of the COE Faculty and Staff Awards.