Micro-electromechanical Systems (MEMS), design and manufacturing of microfabricated sensors and actuators, mechatronics and control systems.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1998
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, IEEE
- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2009
- Z. Liu, S. Yoshida, D.A. Horsley, and S. Tanaka, “Fabrication and Characterization of Row-Column Addressed pMUT Array with Monocrystalline PZT Thin Film Toward Creating Ultrasonic Imager,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, p.113666. June, 2022.
- G. -L. Luo, Y. Kusano, and D. A. Horsley, “Airborne Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers for Long-Range Detection,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 81–89, Feb. 2021, doi: 10.1109/JMEMS.2020.3037298.
- Y. Kusano, I. Ishii, T. Kamiya, A. Teshigahara, G. Luo, and D. A. Horsley, “High-SPL Air-coupled Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers based on 36% ScAlN Thin-film,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, June, 2019.
- P. Taheri-Tehrani, M. Defoort, and D. A. Horsley, “Observation of the Effect of Fractional Synchronization on Amplitude and Frequency Stability in Micromechanical Oscillators,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, pp. 1-8, May, 2019.
- P. Taheri-Tehrani, A. D. Challoner, and D. A. Horsley, “Micromechanical Rate Integrating Gyroscope With Angle-Dependent Bias Compensation Using a Self-Precession Method,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 18, pp. 3533-3543, 2018.