Fixed and floating offshore wind structures; multi-scale experimental testing of structures; computational simulation; probabilistic modeling
Andrew Myers is an Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northeastern University and a registered professional engineer in the state of California. Prior to joining Northeastern, Andrew worked for two years at AIR Worldwide in San Francisco, where he consulted on site-specific natural catastrophe risk assessments.
He received his M.S. (2006) and Ph.D. (2009) at Stanford University and his B.S. (2004) from Johns Hopkins University; all three degrees are in Civil and Environmental Engineering with a focus on Structural Engineering. His interests include multi-scale experimental testing of structures, computational mechanics-based simulation, probabilistic modeling of structural and natural systems, home renovations and CrossFit.
- Ph.D., Structural Engineering and Geomechanics, Stanford University, 2009
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2004
- Professional Engineer: California
Honors & Awards
- 2016 NSF CAREER Award
- 2013 CEE Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2007 NSF East Asia and Pacific Summer Institute Fellowship
- American Institute of Steel Construction
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
- Structural Engineers Association of Northern California
- S. Hallowell, A.T. Myers, S.R. Arwade, W. Pang, P. Rawal, E. Hines, J.F. Hajjar, C.Qiao, V. Valamanesh, K. Wei, W. Carswell, C. Fontana, Hurricane Risk Assessment of Offshore Wind Turbines, Renewable Energy, Elsevier, 2018
- F. Mirzaie, A.T. Myers, A. Jay, A. Mahmoud, S. Torabian, E.Smith, B.W. Schafer, Imperfection Measurements to Predict Buckling Behavior of Slender Steel Tubes, Thin-Walled Structures, Elsevier, 2017
- A. Mahmoud, S. Torabian, A. Jay, F. Mirzaie, A.T. Myers, E. Smith, B.W. Schafer, Modeling the Flexural Collapse of Thin-walled Spirally Welded Tapered Tubes, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 123, 2018, 270-281
- A. Jay, A.T. Myers, F. Mirzaie, A. Mahmoud, S. Torabian, E. Smith, B.W. Schafer, Large-Scale Bending Tests of Slender, Tapered Spirally Welded Steel Tubes, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 2016
- V. Valamanesh, A.T. Myers, S.R. Arwade, Multivariate Analysis of Extreme Metocean Conditions for Offshore Wind Turbines, Structural Safety, Elsevier, 2015
Feb 20, 2020
CEE Associate Professor Andrew Myers and co-inventor Jim Papadopoulos were one of 18 groups awarded funding from a new $1.7M grant by the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center’s (MassCEC) Catalyst and InnovateMass programs in support of clean energy startups and research teams across the Commonwealth.
Jan 31, 2020
The Northeastern Graduate Structural Engineering Association (NGSEA) was selected by the Structural Engineering Institute (SEI) Local Activities Division as the Graduate Student Chapter of the Year.
Jan 13, 2020
Structural Engineering Institute’s new president, Glenn Bell, recently visited Northeastern to deliver a seminar on his future vision for structural engineering.
Aug 05, 2019
CEE Associate Professor Andrew Myers, in collaboration with John Hopkins and Vestas Wind Systems, was awarded an $899K NSF grant for “Optimization of Infrastructure-Scale Thin-Walled Tube Towers including Uncertainty.”
May 23, 2019
CEE Associate Professor Andrew Myers was interviewed by Science for the Public about the Great Potential of Offshore Wind Farms.
Mar 21, 2019
CEE Chair Jerome Hajjar, Associate Professors Andrew Myers, Luca Caracoglia, and CCSH Professor Jennie Stephens are researching ways to build safe and effective offshore wind farms that have the capacity to power the entire country.
Apr 14, 2017
CEE Professor and Chair Jerome Hajjar and CEE Assistant Professor Andrew Myers received a grant from the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center to develop a national agenda for research on offshore wind energy infrastructure.
Aug 03, 2016
Sagar Kamarthi (MIE) has been selected as a panel speaker and Andrew Myers (CEE), Yunsi Fei (ECE), & Edgar Goluch (ChE) have been invited to participate at the National Academy of Engineering's eighth Frontiers of Engineering Education (FOEE) symposium.
Jun 07, 2016
Northeastern has awarded grants to two groups of faculty to promote Advancing Teaching and Learning at Northeastern.
Jan 14, 2016
CEE Assistant Professor Andrew Myers was received a $500K NSF CAREER award for his project entitled "Advancing Multi-hazard Assessment and Risk-based Design for Offshore Wind Energy Technology."