Risk assessment; construction cost/schedule uncertainty; project delivery systems; simulation; construction productivity
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 1980
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Stanford University, 1978
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Tehran University, 1977
- Professional Engineer: Massachusetts
Honors & Awards
- 2009 President Award, Boston Society of Civil Engineers
- 2006 Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- 2004 Best Paper Award, ASEE New England Section Annual Conference, Dedham, Mass
- 1999 Person of the Year (1998/1999), CMAA New England Region Chapter
- 1989 The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation Professional Merit Award
- Construction Management
- Cost Analysis
- Applied Probability
- American Public Works Association
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Boston Society of Civil Engineers
- Construction Management Association of America
- Construction Research Council
- Journal of Construction Engineering & Management, ASCE
- N. Montazeri, A Touran, Multi-Objective Reliability-Based Optimization of Life-cycle Maintenance for Bridges under Cost Uncertainty, Proceedings of the Construction Research Congress, ASCE, 2018, 2003
- Touran, A. and F. Panah, Use of the Alternative Technical Concepts in Transportation Projects, ISEC 9 Conference, 2017
- R. Tapia, D.D. Gransberg, A. Touran, Managing Scheduling Risk due to Geotechnical Uncertainty Using Linear Scheduling, Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., 2017
- R. Masoumi, A. Touran, A Framework to Form Balanced Project Portfolios, Proceedings of the Construction Research Congress, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2016
- A. Touran, J. Liu, A Method for Estimating Contingency based on Project Complexity, Procedia Engineering, Elsevier, 123, 2015, 574-580
- A.P. Gurgun, A. Touran, Public-Private Partnership Experience in the International Arena: Case of Turkey, Journal of Management in Engineering, 30(6), 2014
May 02, 2019
Civil Engineering student Alessandro Mazzotta was awarded a Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) Graduate Student Award by the organization’s New England Chapter. Alessandro, a Master of Science student concentrating in construction management, received the scholarship in recognition of his academic, professional and extracurricular achievements. Alessandro hails from the small town of Castellaro, located in […]
Mar 13, 2017
CEE Professor Ali Touran has been awarded a $235K grant from the Construction Industry Institute (CII) for research on the application of Integrated Project Delivery for Industrial Projects.
Oct 17, 2012
The Construction Industry Institute has awarded CEE Professor Ali Touran $250K to determine the most effective way to manage large construction project portfolios.
Jan 24, 2012
CIV Professor Ali Touran has teamed up with Pioneer Institute to create a Massachusetts Transportation Dashboard to monitor how MassDOT is using tax dollars to reduce traffic congestion and increase throughput & safety.
Jun 30, 2011
Prof. Touran Appointed as Associate Editor of the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management
Professor Ali Touran, Associate Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, has been appointed the Associate Editor of the Journal of Construction Engineering and Management of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Jul 14, 2009
Ali Touran, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, was featured by the Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section, BSCES News, for his long and distinguished career and now most recently for his election as Secretary of BSCES.