GEM Award – Going the Extra Mile Award
The Award recognizes and rewards outstanding service by administrative, support, and technical staff employees in the College of Engineering.
- All staff who do not hold faculty status and who work at least two-thirds time are eligible.
- Nominees must have completed at least two consecutive years of staff service in the College of Engineering.
- Past recipients are not eligible for a period of five years after receiving the award.
This award is given to a staff member who has performed above and beyond normal expectations and is often defined as Going the Extra Mile. This award recognizes employees who have gone above and beyond their regular assignment in specific and recognizable ways. While many employees go the extra mile all the time, this award acknowledges the service and dedication of those who take on one or more special initiatives to help others and the organization through service they were not called upon to do. The staff member may have demonstrated a combination of the following:
- Volunteers to take on responsibilities not specifically required by their supervisor and take those on with a positive and willing spirit
- Demonstrated leadership or an ability to motivate others in pursuit of excellence
- Considered situations and problems from novel and diverse perspectives; addressed challenges in an innovative manner
- Questioned existing assumptions and beliefs; encouraged people to think of alternative ways of doing things
- Considered constraints that limited innovation; worked within constraints to create novel approaches; found ways to make the most out of existing resources; swiftly moved from ideas to implementation
Candidates should have performed in a manner that substantially exceeds the normal expectation for a staff member.
The Staff Initiative Committee will select award recipients.
Nominations may be initiated by College of Engineering staff, students, faculty, and/or administrators. Each nominator, however, may nominate only one employee for this award each year. Complete nominations are required NO LATER THAN April 8, 2020.
The nomination packet should consist of ONE pdf file emailed to email@example.com (separate emails will not be accepted) containing the following:
- one letter of nomination including the names of the nominator(s) and the nominee which should include the rationale for the nomination and pertinent accomplishments; the letter will be preferably one page and a maximum of two pages in length;
- a letter of support from the COE department chair or director, if not included among the nominators above;
- a maximum of three letters of support from current or former students and/or College/University colleagues.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|2019||Jacqueline Josselyn||ECE Co-op|
|2019||Juan Carlos Hincapie||ARC|
|2018||Eve Young||Academic Advising|