Applied operations research, healthcare, supply chain, large scale optimization, and big data analytics
Muhammad Noor E Alam is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering at the Northeastern University. At Northeastern, Dr. Alam also holds a faculty associate position at Centre for Health Policy and Healthcare Research and an aﬃliated faculty position at Global Resilience Institute. Prior to his current role, he was working as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, affiliated with Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), Operations Research Center (ORC), and Sloan School of Management. He has completed his PhD in Engineering Management in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Alberta (UofA) in 2013. His current research interests lie in the intersection of operations research, artificial intelligence and big-data analytics, particularly as applied to healthcare, manufacturing systems and supply chain. He is currently serving as a board of director for IISE Logistics and Supply Chain division.
- PhD (2013), Engineering Management, University of Alberta, Canada
- MS (2006), Industrial & Production Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology
- BS (2004), Industrial & Production Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology
Honors & Awards
Analytics Best Track Paper Award, 2016 IEOM Detroit Conference.
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, 2013-2015.
Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship, 2009-2011.
- Operations Research
- Large Scale Optimization
- Data Analytics
- Operations & Supply Chain Management
- Total Quality Management
- Project Management
- Financial Management
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS).
- Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers (IISE).
- Tasnim Ibn Faiz, Chrysaﬁs Vogiatzis and Md. Noor-E-Alam,“A Column Generation Algorithm for Vehicle Scheduling and Routing Problems”, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 130, pp. 222-236, 2019.
- Hayley D. Germack, Md. Noor-E-Alam, Xiaoyi Wang and Nancy Hanrahan, “Association Between Comorbid Serious Mental Illness Diagnosis and 30-day Medical and Surgical Read-missions ”, JAMA Psychiatry, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2018.3091.
- Jose L. Crespo-Vazquez, C. Carrillo, E. Diaz-Dorado, Jose A. Martinez Lorenzo and Md. Noor-E-Alam, “A Machine Learning Based Stochastic Optimization Framework for a Wind and Storage Power Plant Participating in Energy Pool Market”, Applied Energy, Vol. 232, pp. 341-357, 2018.
- Tasnim Ibn Faiz and Md. Noor-E-Alam, Data Center Supply Chain Con guration Design: A Two-Stage Decision Approach”, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, in press, 2018. doi.org/10.1016/j.seps.2018.07.008.
- Md Saiful Islam, Md Mahmudul Hasan, Xiaoyi Wang, Hayley D. Germack, and Md. Noor-E-Alam, A Systematic Review on Healthcare Analytics: Application and Theoretical Perspective of Data Mining, Healthcare, Vol. 6, pp. 1-42, 2018.
- Jose L. Crespo-Vazquez, C. Carrillo, E. Lorenzo Diaz-Dorado, Jose A. Martinez and Md. Noor-E-Alam, Evaluation of a Data Driven Stochastic Approach to Optimize the Participation of a Wind and Storage Power Plant in Day-Ahead and Reserve Markets, Energy, Vol. 156, pp. 278-291, 2018.
- Mengkai Xu, Xiaoning Jin, Sagar Kamarthi and M. Noor-E-Alam, A Failure-Dependency Modeling and State Discretization Approach for Condition-Based Maintenance Optimization of Multi-Component Systems, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 47, pp. 141-152, 2018.
- AMM Sharif Ullah and M. Noor-E-Alam, Big Data Driven Graphical Information Based Multi Criteria Decision Making, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 63, pp. 23-38, 2018.
- S. Shahinur, AMM Sharif Ullah, M. Noor-E-Alam, Hiroyuki Haniu and Akihiko Kubo, A Decision Model for Making Decisions Under Epistemic Uncertainty and Its Application to Select Materials, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 31, 2017, 298-312.
- M. Noor-E-Alam, J. Doucette, Solving Large Scale Fixed Cost Integer Linear Programming Models for Grid-based Location Problems with Heuristic Techniques, Engineering Optimization, 47(8),2014, 1085-1106.
- M. Noor-E-Alam, A. Ma, J. Doucette, Integer Linear Programming Models for Grid-Based Light Post Location Problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 222, 2012, 17-30.
- M. Noor-E-Alam, T.F. Lipi, Md. A.A. Hasin, A.M.M. Sharif Ullah, Algorithms for Fuzzy Multi Expert Multi Criteria Decision Making (ME-MCDM), Knowledge-Based Systems, 24(3), 2011, 367-377.
Jun 10, 2019
MIE Assistant Professor Muhammad Noor E. Alam is working with DMSB/Bouve Professor Gary Young, Bouve Clinical Assistant Professor Alyssa Peckham, and CSSH Associate Professor Alicia Modestino to determine methods of reducing the number of opioid addictions in the country before they even start.
May 21, 2018
Congratulations to the four COE teams out of eight total receiving 2018 Seed Grant funding from the Global Resilience Institute (GRI). The resilience project topics range from coastal flooding prediction to combating opioid addiction. This year’s pool of proposals was particularly robust, with submissions demonstrating both strengths in their interdisciplinary approaches and in their promise […]
Mar 23, 2017
21 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY18 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 12 different projects representing $600K dollars of investment in research.
Oct 04, 2016
MIE Assistant Teaching Professor Mohammad Dehghani was awarded the IEOM Outstanding Track Chair Award and was awarded 2nd place for the IEOM Doctoral Dissertation Competition Award at the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM) in Detroit, Michigan, September 23-25, 2016. PhD student Tasnim Ibn Faiz received 2nd place for the IEOM Graduate Student […]
Jul 27, 2016
MSIE student Mehul Patel and MIE Assistant Professor MD Noor E Alam won the Best Track Paper Award at the 2016 IEOM Detroit Conference for their paper on "Data Analytics and Visualization in Analyzing Mortality Records".
Sep 04, 2015
Md Noor E Alam joins the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering department in Fall 2015 as an Assistant Professor.