Structure/property relationships in composites and ceramics, magnetic manipulation, colloidal physics
- PhD, Duke University, 2009
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Outstanding Translational Research Award
- R.M. Erb, J.J. Martin, R. Soheilian, C. Pan, J.R. Barber, Actuating Soft Matter with Magnetic Torque, Advanced Functional Materials, 26(22), 2016, 3859-3880
- J.S. Sander, R.M. Erb, L. Li, A. Gurijala, Y.-M. Chiang, High-Performance Battery Electrodes via Magnetic Templating, Nature Energy, 1, 2016, 16099
- J.J. Martin, B.E. Fiore, R.M. Erb, Designing Bioinspired Composite Reinforcement Architectures via 3D Magnetic Printing, Nature Communications, 6, 2015, 8641
- J.J. Martin, M.S. Riederer, M.D. Krebs, R.M. Erb, Understanding and Overcoming Shear Alignment of Fibers During Extrusion, Soft Matter, 11, 2015, 400-405
- R. Soheilian, Y. Choi, A.E. David, H. Abdi, C.E. Maloney, R.M. Erb, Toward Accumulation of Magnetic Nanoparticles into Tissues of Small Porosity, Langmuir, 31(30), 2015, 8267-8274
- R. M. Erb, R.L. Libanori, N. Rothfuchs, A.R. Studart, Composites Reinforced in Three Dimensions by Using Low Magnetic Fields, Science, 335, 2012, 199-204
- R.M. Erb, H.S. Son, B. Samanta, V.M. Rotello, B.B. Yellen, Magnetic Assembly of Colloidal Superstructures with Multipole Symmetry, Nature, 457, 2009, 999-1002
Oct 16, 2018
The startups Boston Materials and Mobile Pixels, both started by members of the COE community, both won the MassChallenge Boston, which is a global business accelerator program for companies in the early stages of development.
May 03, 2017
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2016-2017 academic school year. Faculty Fellow Edward Beighley, CEE Yun Raymond Fu, ECE Tommaso Melodia, ECE Rising Star Staff Award Erin Schnepp, Undergraduate Academic Advising Carolina Venegas-Martinez, CEE Outstanding Teachers of First Year […]
Nov 03, 2016
3DFortify founded by MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb & PhD student Josh Martin selected as a $50K Gold prize winner and QSM Diagnostics founded by ChE Associate Professor Edgar Goluch awarded silver prize winner in the MassChallenge.
Oct 14, 2016
3DFortify founded by MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb & PhD student Josh Martin and QSM Diagnostics founded by ChE Associate Professor Edgar Goluch were selected as MassChallenge finalists.
Sep 06, 2016
MIE Assistant Professor Randy Erb's work on Lithium Ion Batteries and his recent Nature Energy publication were featured in Physics Today. Randy, the head of the DAPS Lab, and his graduate student Anvesh Gurijala worked with a team at MIT to demonstrate a marked improvement to conventional lithium ion batteries for electrial vehicle applications by […]
Jul 12, 2016
MIE Assistant Professor Randy Erb, head of the DAPS Lab, and his graduate student Anvesh Gurijala, along with researchers from MIT, published their work in Nature Energy this week on "High-performance battery electrodes via magnetic templating". Their findings demonstrate a marked improvement to conventional lithium ion batteries for electrial vehicle applications by using magnetic technology […]
Apr 07, 2016
MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb and DAPS Lab have published a Feature Article in Advanced Functional Materials entitled "Actuating Soft Matter with Magnetic Torque".
Nov 10, 2015
MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb was featured in Nature Communications for his article on "Designing bioinspired composite reinforcement architectures via 3D magnetic printing".
Oct 29, 2015
MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb & Joshua Martin, PhD '17, developed an innovative 3-D printing technology to revolutionize important biomedical equipment, enhancing treatment for everyone from premature babies to patients needing implants.
Oct 02, 2015
MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb received an $225K NIH STTR grant for "Improved Performance of Neonatal Vascular Access Catheters via 3D Magnetic Printing".