Structure/property relationships in composites and ceramics, magnetic manipulation, colloidal physics
- PhD, Duke University, 2009
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Outstanding Translational Research Award
- R.M. Erb, J.J. Martin, R. Soheilian, C. Pan, J.R. Barber, Actuating Soft Matter with Magnetic Torque, Advanced Functional Materials, 26(22), 2016, 3859-3880
- J.S. Sander, R.M. Erb, L. Li, A. Gurijala, Y.-M. Chiang, High-Performance Battery Electrodes via Magnetic Templating, Nature Energy, 1, 2016, 16099
- J.J. Martin, B.E. Fiore, R.M. Erb, Designing Bioinspired Composite Reinforcement Architectures via 3D Magnetic Printing, Nature Communications, 6, 2015, 8641
- J.J. Martin, M.S. Riederer, M.D. Krebs, R.M. Erb, Understanding and Overcoming Shear Alignment of Fibers During Extrusion, Soft Matter, 11, 2015, 400-405
- R. Soheilian, Y. Choi, A.E. David, H. Abdi, C.E. Maloney, R.M. Erb, Toward Accumulation of Magnetic Nanoparticles into Tissues of Small Porosity, Langmuir, 31(30), 2015, 8267-8274
- R. M. Erb, R.L. Libanori, N. Rothfuchs, A.R. Studart, Composites Reinforced in Three Dimensions by Using Low Magnetic Fields, Science, 335, 2012, 199-204
- R.M. Erb, H.S. Son, B. Samanta, V.M. Rotello, B.B. Yellen, Magnetic Assembly of Colloidal Superstructures with Multipole Symmetry, Nature, 457, 2009, 999-1002
Nov 13, 2020
MIE Associate Professor Randall Erb was awarded a patent for developing “Methods for the manufacture of thermal interfaces, thermal interfaces, and articles comprising the same”.
Oct 02, 2020
Advised by Associate Professor Randall Erb, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Early in her academic journey as a community college student, Jessica Faust was selected for the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) in summer of 2010, working as a research assistant in mechanical design at Northeastern’s College of Engineering Center for High-Rate […]
Jul 09, 2020
MIE Associate Professor Randall Erb was awarded a patent for “Additive manufacturing of discontinuous fiber composites using magnetic fields.”
Jun 22, 2020
MIE Associate Professor Randall Erb was awarded a patent for “Magnetic field alignment of emulsions to produce porous articles.”
Mar 27, 2020
MIE Associate Professor Randall Erb was awarded a patent for “Three dimensional mineralization printer.”
Feb 25, 2020
MIE Associate Professor Randall Erb was awarded a patent for “Pore orientation using magnetic fields.”
Oct 16, 2018
The startups Boston Materials and Mobile Pixels, both started by members of the COE community, both won the MassChallenge Boston, which is a global business accelerator program for companies in the early stages of development.
May 03, 2017
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2016-2017 academic school year. Faculty Fellow Edward Beighley, CEE Yun Raymond Fu, ECE Tommaso Melodia, ECE Rising Star Staff Award Erin Schnepp, Undergraduate Academic Advising Carolina Venegas-Martinez, CEE Outstanding Teachers of First Year […]
Nov 03, 2016
3DFortify founded by MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb & PhD student Josh Martin selected as a $50K Gold prize winner and QSM Diagnostics founded by ChE Associate Professor Edgar Goluch awarded silver prize winner in the MassChallenge.
Oct 14, 2016
3DFortify founded by MIE Assistant Professor Randall Erb & PhD student Josh Martin and QSM Diagnostics founded by ChE Associate Professor Edgar Goluch were selected as MassChallenge finalists.