machine learning, signal and image analytics, cyber-human systems
Deniz Erdogmus graduated with B.S. in Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE), and the B.S. in Mathematics in 1997, and M.S. in EEE in 1999 from the Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. He received his Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering from the University of Florida in 2002, where he stayed as a postdoctoral research associate until 2004. Prior to joining the Northeastern faculty in 2008, he held an Assistant Professor position at the Oregon Health and Science University. His expertise is in information theoretic and nonparametric machine learning and adaptive signal processing, specifically focusing on cognitive signal processing including brain interfaces and assistive technologies. Deniz has been serving as an associate editor IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Transactions on Neural Networks, Signal Processing Letters, and Elsevier Neurocomputing. He is a member of the IEEE-SPS Machine Learning for Signal Processing Technical Committee.
- PhD, University of Florida, 2002. Joined Northeastern in 2008.
Honors & Awards
- 2014 COE Faculty Fellow
- 2014 Søren Buus Outstanding Research Award, College of Engineering
- 2012 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- S. Salehi, D. Erdogmus, A. Gholipour, Auto-Context Convolutional Neural Network (Auto-Net) for Brain Extraction in Magnetic Resonance Imaging, IEEE TMI, 36 (11), 2017
- J. Sourati, M. Akcakaya, T.K. Leen, D.Erdogmus, J.G. Dy, Asymptotic Analysis of Objectives Based on Fisher Information in Active Learning, JMLR, 18, 2017, 1-41
- M. Moghadamfalahi, M. Akcakaya, H. Nezamfar, J. Sourati, D. Erdogmus, An Active RBSE Framework to Generate Optimal Stimulus Sequences in a BCI for Spelling, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 65(20), 2017, 5381-53
- E. Onuk, J. Badger, Y.J. Wang, J. Bardhan, Y. Chishti, M. Akcakaya, D.H. Brooks, D. Erdogmus, D.L. Minh, L. Makowski, Effects of Catalytic Action and Ligand Binding on Conformational Ensembles of Adenylate Kinase, Biochemistry, 56(34), 2017, 4559–4567
- M. Higger, F. Quivira, M. Akcakaya, M. Moghadamfalahi, H. Nezamfar, M. Cetin, D. Erdogmus, Recursive Bayesian Coding for BCIs, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 25(6), 2016, 704 – 714
Mar 16, 2020
ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus’s work with collaborators from Oregon Health & Science University was featured on the Bloomberg Prognosis series “What Speaking With Brainwaves Looks Like.”
Jan 31, 2020
ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus’s work with Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) featured in article “Tech that detects cause of preemie blindness gets federal nod”.
Sep 09, 2019
Bouve Professor Eugene Tunik (PI) on the project, ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus, Associate Professor Taskin Padir and Bouve Associate Research Scientist Mathew Yarossi were award a $760K NSF grant for the “Coordination of Dyadic Object Handover for Human-Robot Interactions”.
Jun 27, 2019
ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus (co-PI) and affiliated BioE Professors Mary Jo Ondrechen (PI) and Penny Beuning (co-PI) were awarded a $600K NSF grant for “Mining for mechanistic information to predict protein function”.
Jun 10, 2019
ECE PhD students Mo Han, PhD’22, Yagmur Gunay, PhD’21, and Ilkay Yildiz, PhD’22, received the best student paper award at PETRA 2019, which took place in Rhodes, Greece, for their paper “From Hand-perspective Visual Information to Grasp Type Probabilities: Deep Learning via Ranking Labels”.
May 08, 2019
ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus is a co-PI for a $1M NIH grant, in collaboration with the University of Southern California, for a “Multimodal Signal Analysis and Data Fusion for Post-Traumatic Epilepsy”.
Apr 29, 2019
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2018-2019 academic school year. See Full Photo Gallery Faculty Fellow Matthew Eckelman, CEE Yongmin Liu, MIE Outstanding Teacher of First Year Engineering Students Joseph Depasquale, Chemistry Brian O’Connell, FYE Sumi Seo, Mathematics Matthew […]
Apr 09, 2019
25 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY20 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 18 different projects representing up to $900K dollars of investment in research.
Aug 30, 2018
BioE/ECE Affiliated Faculty Eugene Tunik (PI) and co-PI ECE Professors Deniz Erdogmus and Dana Brooks were awarded a $600K NSF grant, in collaboration with Wasim Malik from MGH, for “Understanding Motor Cortical Organization through Engineering Innovation to TMS-Based Brain Mapping”.
Sep 06, 2017
Two Northeastern PhD students won a 2017 Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Augmentative and Alternative Communication (RERC on AAC) Award. Fernando Quivira and Matt Higger’s Shuffle Speller project won the 2017 RERC on AAC Student Research and Design Competition. The competition is designed to advance understanding and enhance augmentative and alternative communication technologies to improve […]