machine learning, signal and image analytics, cyber-human systems
Deniz Erdogmus graduated with B.S. in Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE), and the B.S. in Mathematics in 1997, and M.S. in EEE in 1999 from the Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. He received his Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering from the University of Florida in 2002, where he stayed as a postdoctoral research associate until 2004. Prior to joining the Northeastern faculty in 2008, he held an Assistant Professor position at the Oregon Health and Science University. His expertise is in information theoretic and nonparametric machine learning and adaptive signal processing, specifically focusing on cognitive signal processing including brain interfaces and assistive technologies. Deniz has been serving as an associate editor IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Transactions on Neural Networks, Signal Processing Letters, and Elsevier Neurocomputing. He is a member of the IEEE-SPS Machine Learning for Signal Processing Technical Committee.
- PhD, University of Florida, 2002. Joined Northeastern in 2008.
Honors & Awards
- 2014 COE Faculty Fellow
- 2014 Søren Buus Outstanding Research Award, College of Engineering
- 2012 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- S. Salehi, D. Erdogmus, A. Gholipour, Auto-Context Convolutional Neural Network (Auto-Net) for Brain Extraction in Magnetic Resonance Imaging, IEEE TMI, 36 (11), 2017
- J. Sourati, M. Akcakaya, T.K. Leen, D.Erdogmus, J.G. Dy, Asymptotic Analysis of Objectives Based on Fisher Information in Active Learning, JMLR, 18, 2017, 1-41
- M. Moghadamfalahi, M. Akcakaya, H. Nezamfar, J. Sourati, D. Erdogmus, An Active RBSE Framework to Generate Optimal Stimulus Sequences in a BCI for Spelling, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 65(20), 2017, 5381-53
- E. Onuk, J. Badger, Y.J. Wang, J. Bardhan, Y. Chishti, M. Akcakaya, D.H. Brooks, D. Erdogmus, D.L. Minh, L. Makowski, Effects of Catalytic Action and Ligand Binding on Conformational Ensembles of Adenylate Kinase, Biochemistry, 56(34), 2017, 4559–4567
- M. Higger, F. Quivira, M. Akcakaya, M. Moghadamfalahi, H. Nezamfar, M. Cetin, D. Erdogmus, Recursive Bayesian Coding for BCIs, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 25(6), 2016, 704 – 714
Sep 10, 2020
COS Assistant Professor Ajay Satpute, Professor Lisa Feldman Barrett, and ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus received an $800K NSF grant for “The Brain Basis of Emotion: A Category Construction Problem”.
Aug 28, 2020
Northeastern researchers comprised of Taskin Padir (ECE), Deniz Erdogmus (ECE), Misha Pavel (Khoury, BCHS), and Carmen Sceppa (BCHS) received a planning grant from the NSF-JST Smart and Connected Communities program to focus on team-building, user-centered design ideation, and community participation activities to develop a tight and sustainable collaboration among U.S.-Japan researchers
Jul 28, 2020
ECE Associate Professor Stratis Ioannidis is leading a team with Professors Jennifer Dy and Deniz Erdoğmuş, that won a highly competitive Facebook Research Award with their project “Learning from Comparisons”.
Jul 06, 2020
Two papers from SPIRAL researchers received best paper awards at PErvasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments (PETRA) conference.
May 07, 2020
ECE Associate Professor Kaushik Chowdhury, Assistant Professor Pau Closas, Professor Deniz Erdogmus, Professor Tommaso Melodia, and Assistant Professor Yanzhi Wang received $1M funding from DARPA for their project titled Signal Processing in Neural Networks (SPiNN) for Wireless IoT.
Mar 16, 2020
ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus’s work with collaborators from Oregon Health & Science University was featured on the Bloomberg Prognosis series “What Speaking With Brainwaves Looks Like.”
Jan 31, 2020
ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus’s work with Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) featured in article “Tech that detects cause of preemie blindness gets federal nod”.
Sep 09, 2019
Bouve Professor Eugene Tunik (PI) on the project, ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus, Associate Professor Taskin Padir and Bouve Associate Research Scientist Mathew Yarossi were award a $760K NSF grant for the “Coordination of Dyadic Object Handover for Human-Robot Interactions”.
Jun 27, 2019
ECE Professor Deniz Erdogmus (co-PI) and affiliated BioE Professors Mary Jo Ondrechen (PI) and Penny Beuning (co-PI) were awarded a $600K NSF grant for “Mining for mechanistic information to predict protein function”.
Jun 10, 2019
ECE PhD students Mo Han, PhD’22, Yagmur Gunay, PhD’21, and Ilkay Yildiz, PhD’22, received the best student paper award at PETRA 2019, which took place in Rhodes, Greece, for their paper “From Hand-perspective Visual Information to Grasp Type Probabilities: Deep Learning via Ranking Labels”.