Andrew Gillen received his PhD in Engineering Education from Virginia Tech and BS in Civil Engineering from Northeastern University. As a Lecturer (Senior Teaching Fellow) in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geomatic Engineering at University College London, he coordinated the Integrated Design Capstone and served as the Department’s Inclusion Lead. His research interests include multi-stakeholder educational partnerships, innovative pedagogies, broadening participation/community engagement, as well as other engineering education topic areas.
- PhD Engineering Education, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2019
- BS Civil Engineering, Northeastern University, 2016
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Matusovich, H. M., Gillen, A. L., Van Montfrans, V., Grohs, J., Paradise, T., Carrico, C., Lesko, H., & Gilbert, K. (2021). Student outcomes from the collective design and delivery of culturally relevant engineering outreach curricula in rural and Appalachian middle schools. International Journal of Engineering Education, 37(4), 884–899.
- Gillen, A. L., Grohs, J. R., Matusovich, H. M., & Kirk, G. R. (2021). A multiple case study of an interorganizational collaboration: Exploring the first year of an industry partnership focused on middle school engineering education. Journal of Engineering Education, 110(3), 545– 571.
- Woodrow, M., Gillen, A. L., Woodrow, R., & Torero, J. (2020). Investigating varied pedagogical approaches for problem-based learning in a fire safety engineering course. International Journal of Engineering Education, 36(5), 1605-1614.
- Matusovich, H. M., Gillen, A. L., Carrico, C., Knight, D., & Grohs, J. (2020). Outcome expectations and environmental factors associated with engineering college-going: A case study. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research (J-PEER), 10(1), Article 5.
- Grohs, J.R., Gillen, A.L., Matusovich, H.M., Kirk, G.R., Lesko, H.L., Brantley, J., & Carrico, C. (2020). Building community capacity for integrating engineering in rural middle school science classrooms. Journal of STEM Outreach, 3.
- Gillen, A. L., Carrico, C., Grohs, J., & Matusovich, H. M. (2018). Using an applied research-practice cycle: Iterative improvement of culturally relevant engineering outreach. Journal of Formative Design in Learning, 2, 121–128.
- Gillen, A. L. (2016). Teacher’s toolkit: The new standard in technology education: 3-D design class. Science Scope, 39(9), 8–16.
May 18, 2022
Several engineering students and science students mentored by COE faculty are recipients of Northeastern’s Summer 2022 PEAK Experiences Awards.