New Student Information

Congratulations on your acceptance to the College of Engineering!

As an incoming student for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 semester, we put together this site to help provide important information to assist you as you begin your graduate program with us. Please take some time and look at each section.

If you are not from the Boston area, finding housing is an important and sometimes challenging task. Most graduate students live off campus. Students may search for housing, sublets, and roommates by using Northeastern’s Off-Campus Student Services.

For global campuses, please refer to the housing guides for Seattle, Silicon Valley, Toronto, Vancouver, and Portland.

The Graduate School of Engineering does not provide temporary housing for students when they first arrive in Boston. Northeastern’s Off-Campus Student Services lists some options for temporary housing and can assist you in finding an apartment.

from Logan Airport

You can travel from Logan International Airport (BOS) to Boston, Northeastern, and surrounding areas utilizing a number of different options.

Northeastern University does not usually arrange or provide for transportation from the airport. The Office of Global Services (OGS) may run a shuttle service for one specific day generally about a week before classes start.

Taxis are readily available from any terminal at Logan. Follow the signs in the airport terminal directing you to ground transport and taxi services. Taxi pick-up areas are usually located near baggage claim. The airport advises you to only utilize properly-licensed taxi services.

You should expect to pay $40 to $60 for a one-way trip into downtown Boston or surrounding areas, inclusive of tolls and fees. Taxis licensed by the City of Boston are required to accept credit cards as a form of payment. Taxis licensed by other cities in Massachusetts do not necessarily have to accept credit cards.

Shuttle Service (Private)
A number of private shuttle services operate from Logan and offer drop-offs to an address you specify. Shuttles may be more economical than shuttles if you transporting a large group of people. Shuttles generally require advance reservation and payment.

  • Flightline
  • Go Boston Shuttle
  • Note: This content is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as an endorsement by Northeastern University, of any of the products, services, or companies mentioned. This list is presented alphabetically and is not intended to be exhaustive.
Public Transit (MBTA)

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) offers a number of options to travel from the airport to the Greater Boston area. MBTA subway service, often referred to as the “T”, runs along multiple lines (Blue, Green, Orange, Red…the Silver Line is actually a bus line), some of which may include multiple branches. MBTA bus service covers most of the Boston metropolitan area.

Northeastern is accessible by subway via the Green Line of the MBTA. From downtown Boston, take an “E” train outbound to the Northeastern stop, the first stop above ground. The campus can also be reached from downtown via the Orange Line by taking any train going outbound to Forest Hills and getting off at Ruggles Station. Commuter rail lines connect with the Orange Line at Ruggles Station, Back Bay Station, and North Station.

It may be helpful to familiarize yourself with a map of the T (subway lines and major bus routes). Please note that the map is intended to enhance readability and is neither drawn to scale nor a perfect representation of geography.

Most students will want to take either the free Blue Line bus shuttle to Airport Station (if your final destination is near a Blue or Orange Line stop) or the free Silver Line bus shuttle to South Station (if your final destination is a Red or Green Line stop).

Fare machines are available in baggage claim in all terminals. A one-way trip on the MBTA will generally cost between $2.10 to $4.20, depending on whether or not you use a CharlieCard (recommended) and whether or not you transfer from subway to bus (or vice-versa). Daily, weekly, and monthly passes are also available. Discounted semester passes may also be available through Northeastern University after you start your classes.

While it is possible to bring luggage onto buses and subway cars, it is best to limit yourself to no more than two pieces of luggage and to avoid traveling during peak weekday hours (7am to 10am, 4pm to 7pm) or during large events like a Boston Red Sox game when you are traveling with your luggage. The subway lines and buses can become very crowded during these times, and it can become very difficult to maneuver your luggage.

Please note that the MBTA usually closes shortly after midnight and does not reopen until around 5am, so please plan accordingly.


Visitors to the University are expected to park in the Renaissance Park Garage or the Gainsborough Garage. The fee is based on an hourly rate structure. Prior to the start of each academic year or semester/quarter, students can apply for a parking permit via myNortheastern. All vehicles being used by students must display a valid parking permit in order to park on University property. Please refer to the University’s Parking website for more information on where to park, fees, and other frequently asked questions.

Get familiar with your myNortheastern account. Most functions and services related to your academic experience at NU (i.e. your courses, your student account, etc.) you will find under the Self-Service tab. Under the myNortheastern Central and Community tabs, you will find information on upcoming events. Also, use your myNortheastern account to access your Husky g-mail account. You are encouraged to start checking your Husky email regularly. If you have not set up your myNortheastern account, login to your electronic application to find the instructions to do so. Refer to How do I claim my student account if you have any problems.

Managing Your Email to Receive Important Communications

It is important that you get into the habit of logging into your myNortheastern account to check your new Northeastern Email Account. You may find that there are already important emails waiting in your account. With that said, given that most people have at least two if not several email accounts (i.e. yahoo, gmail, etc.), you may wish to forward your personal email to your Northeastern Email Account or vice versa. Note that your Northeastern Email Account can be configured to automatically forward incoming mail to another address if desired. To learn the steps to do this, login to your Northeastern Email Account, and look for a gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the page to begin the process. Go to to access your myNortheastern account.

Many of our programs request that new students not register for courses until on or after the new student orientation. If your department/program of acceptance would like you to register early, the name of your program with a link to course registration guidance will appear here.

Please make sure you have taken the necessary steps below in order to register for your programs courses:

  1. Students who are admitted to more than one program must select their intended program and decline enrollment for their additional acceptances.
  2. Student Financial Services requires all new students to complete the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement (SFRA). FAQs regarding the SFRA can be found on the Student Financial Services website. Please direct any questions regarding the SFRA hold to Student Financial Services.
  3. Students who hold a degree from an institution outside of the United States must clear Foreign Credential Evaluation.

Boston, MA

Co-op ENCP class
If you are interested in searching for a co-op in upcoming semesters, please also refer to Introduction to Cooperative Education Registration (Departmental Programs – ENCP 6100) or Career Management for Engineers (MGEN Programs Co-op Prerequisite – ENCP 6000)(Link coming soon).

Will I get a bill by registering for courses? Your first e-bill is generated when you register for your courses. You will receive an e-bill from the university with instructions on how to pay the e-bill. If you have questions about the mode of payment or billing, then please contact the Student Financial Services Office at Please do not contact faculty members or the registrar’s office regarding tuition payment or billing.

For Students Supported on an SGA

If you are being supported on a Stipended Graduate Assistantship (Research Assistantship; Teaching Assistantship; Dean’s Fellowship; Distinguished Dean’s Fellowship; Chair’s Fellowship), the tuition and health insurance waiver are administered by the Office of Student Financial Services, graduate financial aid division. While your tuition waiver will usually be credited to your student account within the first 5 weeks of the semester, it can sometimes take up to 8 weeks.

Please note: You are responsible to pay the portion of your bill which is not covered by your SGA by the due date listed on the bill. Your SGA covers tuition up to 12 semester hours and pays the Northeastern University Student Health Plan health insurance fee. The University Health and Counseling fee is not covered by your SGA. See here for a list of fees. To avoid incurring late fees, do not wait for your SGA tuition waiver to be reflected on your student account before you pay your fees. If you have any questions about which portion of your bill you should pay, please contact Student Financial Services at

You will receive more detailed information about your Stipended Graduate Assistantship stipend payments from the Graduate School via email, soon.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires that all students who are matriculating, carry a course load of nine credits or more or are enrolled in a full-time program have hospital insurance. Students who are covered under comparable insurance may request to waive the health insurance fee. The University Health and Counseling Services Center, Northeastern’s student health services, coordinates care for all students enrolled in the health insurance plan. Graduate students who have waived participation in the insurance are eligible for services if they have paid the student health fee. Please refer to the University Health and Counseling Services Center‘s web site for further information. We are sorry, but the Graduate School of Engineering cannot answer questions related to health insurance. Visit the NEU Student Health Plan for more information.

Please refer to the University’s main COVID website and the letter from the Chancellor with the incoming student protocols.

Regarding NEU’s immunization requirements, direct questions to the University Health and Counseling Services office (617-373-2772) or email (, and make sure to fill out the University Health Report form.

If you have not done so already, arrange to complete your official admissions file by submitting official transcripts, degree certificates, and official test scores. If documents are in a language other than English, please arrange to submit official translations. Please review what is considered official proof of degree or transcript.

NOTE: When arranging to send your official documents to Northeastern, write or reference your unique 9-digit Slate Application/Applicant ID Number on your request.

Please see the below options and instructions to submit your transcripts:

  • Option 1. If you have your official, complete documents, and you can request new copies of the official documents (i.e. it is not your only copy of the official documents) use the following address to mail your documents:Northeastern University – College of Engineering
    Graduate Application Processing Center
    P.O. Box 1490 Portsmouth, NH 03802 USA
  • Option 2. If you have your official, complete documents, and you can request new copies of the official documents (i.e. it is not your only copy of the official documents) but are unable to mail them to a P.O. Box, please use the following address to mail your documents:Northeastern University – College of Engineering
    3rd Floor, Graduate Application Processing Center
    101 Belvidere Street, Boston, MA 02115
  • Option 3. If you plan to submit your documents electronically, have your institution send them directly to
    NOTE: Electronic official transcripts must be submitted directly by your institution. They will not be accepted as official documents if submitted by you.
  • Option 4. If you only have one personal copy of your original, final, and complete documents and are unable to request a new copy, you may sign up for an appointment to show proof of your transcript. Please ensure you bring both the original official documents and a photocopy of the documents to the office for verification.
    Note: If you are currently studying at one of our Global Campuses (Seattle, Silicon Valley, Toronto, Vancouver, Portland, ME, Arlington, or Oakland) and need to arrange a time to meet the staff in person, please be in touch with your academic advisor.

International students on a J-1 or F-1 visa at our US campuses are required to arrive at campus no later than the date published on the I-20. However, students who are coming from abroad sometimes have to arrive a bit later because of the unavailability of international flights or because of visa administrative processing delays. If you cannot arrive by on or before the date published on your I-20 please refer to the OGS website for Late Arrival request Instructions. If you have any Late Arrival questions please reach out to the Department Contact.

International students at our Canadian campuses should refer to the program start date on their Proof of Acceptance Letter (POA). The last day to arrive to attend courses at the Canadian campuses is the first day of classes, as indicated on the POA. IRCC recommends students should arrive no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of classes. Students may be refused entry if they arrive too early. If you are unable to arrive prior to the start of your classes, please email for instructions and guidance.

Information for Students Who Cannot Attend the Graduate Student Services Orientation

While all upcoming orientations will be virtual, if you fit into one of the following categories, it is not necessary for you to attend the new student orientation program: (1) regional campus students (i.e. Seattle, San Francisco Bay Area, Toronto, and Vancouver); (2) part-time, working students; (3) students who have attended a GSE new student orientation in the past; and (4) international students who have special permission to arrive late for the upcoming term. All other newly admitted students should make every effort to attend the orientation. If you cannot attend for some other reason or conflict, please do not worry. Shortly after, we will make the power point slides from the orientation session available on this page. Otherwise, the most important thing to do when you arrive is to contact the person named on your admission letter as your initial academic point of contact regarding your program of acceptance (and if you are an international student, visit the (Office of Global Services (OGS) website) and look for instructions regarding the immigration clearance process).

Each year many graduate engineering students compete for available Graduate Cooperative Education (Co-op) positions to gain industrial experience. Please note that the process is competitive, positions are not guaranteed, and requirements apply. You will hear more about the Co-op program at the orientation program. You are encouraged to read about our Co-op program ahead of time if interested. Learn more about Graduate Co-op and especially read the sections on Eligibility and Requirements.

One of the most important priorities that a new graduate student can make is a commitment to high academic performance, honesty, and integrity. We expect you to study hard, to get good grades, and to graduate successfully. And most of our graduate students do. But each year some run into academic difficulties. Please read about the below topics to know what is expected.

Academic Policies & Procedures: Note that all graduate students are subject to the University policy regarding Minimum Cumulative Grade-Point Average. Graduate students are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.000 or higher each term to remain in good academic standing and to progress toward graduation. Students falling below a cumulative GPA of 3.000 are placed on academic probation for each academic term in which the cumulative GPA is below 3.000.

Academic Honesty & Integrity: A commitment to the principles of academic integrity is essential to the mission of Northeastern University. To this end, the University has established an Academic Integrity Policy to which all students are subject. Suspected incidences of academic dishonesty will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution. Cheating, fabrication, unauthorized collaboration, facilitating academic dishonesty, participation in dishonesty, multiple submissions, and all forms of plagiarism are considered violations which may result in immediate dismissal from the Graduate School and the University.

Refer to the University Graduate Catalog to access Northeastern University’s primary statements about student academic life, conduct, and the responsibilities of students and the University to one another.

The Princeton Review has named Northeastern as having one of the best career services offices. Learn more information about career services for graduate students. In addition, if you are an international student, have a disability, are LGBTQA+, or are a veteran, additional resources are available.

The University has a smoke-free policy, prohibiting tobacco smoking anywhere on campus – inside and outside. Questions associated with this policy can be sent to:

When you arrive on campus, one of the first things you’ll do is obtain a Husky ID Card.  Along with identification, the Husky Card is also used for building/residence hall access, parking, laundry, printing, vending, dining services, library book check-out, discounts and more. The Husky Card can also be used as a debit card. When you add money to your Husky Dollar account, you will be able to pay for food and services at many locations in and around the University.

To obtain a Husky ID card, you will visit the Husky Card Office in Speare Commons and bring a government issued photo identification.  A passport if you are an international student; a Driver’s License, or other government issued photo ID card, if you are a domestic student.

For more information, visit

Contact Us

To contact the Graduate Engineering Student Services or Admissions, please visit Graduate Admissions Support Center.