Biomechanics, mechanobiology, biotransport
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 2010
Honors & Awards
- 2022 College of Engineering Faculty Fellow
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- International Society for Eye Research (ISER)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
Biomechanics, mechanobiology, biotransport
Laboratory for Soft Tissue Biomechanics
The Laboratory for Soft Tissue Biomechanics at Northeastern University conducts studies to understand how mechanical loading and structural properties at different scales (i.e. organ, tissue, extracellular matrix, and cellular/sub-cellular levels) affect the normal responses of soft tissues. We aim to determine how deviating from such native states may induce pathophysiological responses. Our group has been extending the scope of experimental techniques to quantify the mechanical and microstructural properties of soft tissues. We have also been developing multi-scale computational models of tissue biomechanics and mechanobiology based on the experimentally quantified responses at the cellular, extracellular matrix, and tissue levels.
Selected Research Projects
- In-vivo Assessment of Human Iris Mechanical Properties
- – Principal Investigator, BrightFocus Foundation
- Multi-scale Assessment of Biomechanical Alterations in Tricuspid Valves Following Pregnancy
- – Principal Investigator, National Science Foundation
- Nwotchouang, Blaise Simplice Talla, Eppelheimer, Maggie S., Pahlavian, Soroush Heidari, Barrow, Jack W., Barrow, Daniel L., Qiu, Deqiang, Allen, Philip A., Oshinski, John N., Amini, Rouzbeh, Loth, Francis (2021). Regional Brain Tissue Displacement and Strain is Elevated in Subjects with Chiari Malformation Type I Compared to Healthy Controls: A Study Using DENSE MRI. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, . 10.1007/S10439-020-02695-7
- Nwotchouang, Blaise Simplice Talla, Eppelheimer, Maggie S., Biswas, Dipankar, Pahlavian, Soroush Heidari, Zhong, Xiaodong, Oshinski, John N., Barrow, Daniel L., Amini, Rouzbeh, Loth, Francis (2021). Accuracy of cardiac‐induced brain motion measurement using displacement‐encoding with stimulated echoes (DENSE) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): A phantom study. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 85(3),1237-1247. 10.1002/MRM.28490
- Rashidi, Neda, Pant, Anup D., Salinas, Samuel D., Shah, Mickey, Thomas, Vineet S., Zhang, Ge, Dorairaj, Syril, Amini, Rouzbeh (2021). Iris stromal cell nuclei deform to more elongated shapes during pharmacologically-induced miosis and mydriasis. Experimental Eye Research, 202,108373. 10.1016/J.EXER.2020.108373
- Amini, Rouzbeh, Cyrus Rezvanifar, S. (2020). Self-Efficacy Versus Gender: Project-Based Active Learning Techniques in Biomedical Engineering Introductory Computer Programming Courses. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 142(11). 10.1115/1.4047924
- S.D. Salinas, M.M. Clark, R. Amini, The Effects of− 80° C Short-Term Storage on the Mechanical Response of Tricuspid Valve Leaflets, Journal of Biomechanics, 98, 2020, 109462
- V.S. Thomas, V. Lai, R. Amini, A Computational Multi-Scale Approach to Investigate Mechanically-Induced Changes in Tricuspid Valve Anterior Leaflet Microstructure, Acta Biomaterialia, 94, 2019, 524-535
- K. Amini Khoiy, K.T. Asgarian, F. Loth, R. Amini, Dilation of Tricuspid Valve Annulus Immediately After Rupture of Chordae Tendineae in Ex-Vivo Porcine Hearts, PLOS One, 13(11), 2018, e0206744
- A.D. Pant, P. Gogte, V. Pathak-Ray, S.K. Dorairaj, R. Amini Increased Iris Stiffness in Patients with a History of Angle-Closure Glaucoma: An Image-Based Inverse Modeling Analysis, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 59(10), 2018, 4134-4142
- S.H. Pahlavian, J. Oshinski, X. Zhong, F. Loth, R. Amini Regional Quantification of Brain Tissue Strain Using Displacement-Encoding with Stimulated Echoes Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 140(8), 2018
Aug 07, 2023
High school seniors engage in diverse engineering research during Northeastern’s Young Scholars Program, mentored by COE faculty and students.
Jul 12, 2023
Bioengineering graduate student Ana I. Vargas, PhD’24, was chosen as the runner-up in the Summer Biomechanics, Bioengineering, & Biotransport Conference (SB3C) Student Paper Competition for the “Morphogenesis, Maternal/Abdominal Health” competition category.
May 01, 2023
Serena Lin, computer engineering, participated in the UPLIFT (Undergraduate Program for Leaders in Future Transformation Program) where she started research in her first semester as an undergraduate. With a variety of hands-on research experiences, including an NSF REU and working at the Institute for Experiential Robotics, Lin found her passion in robotics.
Apr 15, 2022
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2021-2022 academic school year.
Jan 19, 2021
COE Alumnus, Now Professor Focuses in the Interdisciplinary Fields of Biomechanics and Mechanobiology
Rouzbeh Amini, associate professor of mechanical and industrial engineering, jointly appointed in bioengineering, first came to Northeastern in the early 2000s pursuing a master’s degree in mechanical engineering. He recalls his days as a graduate student at Northeastern fondly and didn’t imagine that he’d ever get the chance to come back to the university as […]
Nov 03, 2020
MIE/BioE Associate Professor Rouzbeh Amini is researching “Multi-scale Assessment of Biomechanical Alterations in Tricuspid Valves Following Pregnancy” – a project awarded to him as an NSF CAREER Award in 2018.
Jan 03, 2020
Rouzbeh Amini joins the Mechanical Engineering department in January 2020 as an Associate Professor with a joint appointment in Bioengineering.