Over the past twenty+ years Claire Duggan has been involved in the design and implementation of multiple STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) educational outreach programs. She has worked extensively to bridge connections between higher education’s research community and our educational partners from K-14.
- 2001-present, Director for Programs, Center for STEM, Northeastern University
- 1989 – 2001, Associate Director, Center for the Enhancement of Science and Mathematics (CESAME), Northeastern University
- BA, 1978, University of Massachusetts (Political Science)
- MPA, 1984, Northeastern University (Public Administration)
Honors & Awards
- 2017 – Outstanding Staff Teamwork Award
- 2011 – Recognition Award – Society of Women Engineers, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Black Engineering Student Society
- 2010 – Fellow – Massachusetts Academy of Sciences
- 2006 – Northeastern University Aspiration Award
- Women in STEM, 2014 Conference, Advisory Board and Presenter “Programs that Work to Engage and Retain Women in STEM”
- NSTA Boston, 2014 Building Connections with University Broader Impact Efforts
- “Sustaining a Research Experience for Teachers Program” (AAAS International Teacher Scientist Partnership Conference) 2013
- “Building and Sustaining K-12 Educational Partnerships” (NSF ERC 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012)
- 2010 Massachusetts Academy of Sciences Fellow; each year, the Academy honors distinguished individuals through its Fellows Program. The awardees constitute a select and prestigious community of scientists and science educators who are recognized for extraordinary scientific accomplishments and/or service to the science community and the public.”
- NSF ATE -Starting August 2014 NSF – Collaborative Research: TRANSFORM: TRANSFORMing liberal arts careers to meet demand for advanced manufacturing workforce Award Number:1407160; Principal Investigator: Ibrahim Zeid; Co-Principal Investigator: Claire Duggan, Sagar Kamarthi; Organization: Northeastern University; NSF Organization: DUE AwardGrants
- NSF S-STEM:ITEL (Investing in Tomorrow’s Engineering Leaders) Starting March 2009Award Number: 0849804; Principal Investigator: Ibrahim Zeid; Co-Principal Investigator:Mohamad Metghalchi, Claire Duggan; Organization: Northeastern University;NSF Organization:DUE Award Date:03/15/2009;
- NSF LSAMP: LSAMP Educational Research Project: Retention of URM Engineering Students through Practice-Oriented Experiential Education Award Number: 1102485; Principal Investigator: Mohamad Metghalchi; Co-Principal Investigator: Richard Harris, Claire Duggan; Organization: Northeastern University;NSF Organization:HRD Award Date:07/01/2011;
- NSF ITEST:CAPSULE: CAPStone Unique Learning Experience:Award Number: 0833636; Principal Investigator: Ibrahim Zeid; Co-Principal Investigator: Claire Duggan, Sagar Kamarthi, Ahmed Busnaina, Jacqueline Isaacs; Organization: Northeastern University;NSF Organization: DRL Award Date:08/01/2009;
- NU STEP-UP – Award Number: 0653090; Principal Investigator: Christos Zahopoulos; Co-Principal Investigator: Thomas Cullinane, Mohamad Metghalchi, Claire Duggan, Yiannis Levendis; Organization: Northeastern University; NSF Organization: DUE Award Date:07/01/2007;
- NSF Young Scholars Project Award Number: 9055045; Principal Investigator: Claire Duggan; Co-Principal Investigator:; Organization: Northeastern University; NSF Organization: DRL Award Date:03/01/1991;
- NSF Young Scholars Program at Northeastern University Award Number: 9452701; Principal Investigator: Claire Duggan; Co-Principal Investigator:; Organization: Northeastern University; NSF Organization
- NSF RET: RET-PLUS: Research Experiences for Teachers – Program Linked to Urban Schools Award Number: 0227577; Principal Investigator: Claire Duggan; Co-Principal Investigator: Charles DiMarzio; Organization: Northeastern University; NSF Organization: EEC Award Date:10/01/2002
- NSF: IMPACT: A Regional Curriculum Implementation Effort Award Number: 9730138; Principal Investigator: Michael Silevitch; Co-Principal Investigator: Margaret Bondorew, Claire Duggan, Marilyn Decker; Organization: Northeastern University;
- NSF Organization: DRL Award Date:04/01/1998;Track 2, GK-12: Northeastern University GK-12 PLUS: Partners Learning in Urban Settings Award Number:0338255; Principal Investigator: Thomas Gilbert; Co-Principal Investigator: Jean Krasnow, Claire Duggan; Organization: Northeastern University; NSF Organization: DGE Award Date:02/01/2004
- Zeid, I., Chin, J., Duggan, C., and Kamarthi, S., “Engineering based learning: a paradigm shift for high school STEM teaching,” International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 1-12, 2014.
- Casto, M., I. Zeid, C. Duggan, “Development and Implementation of and Engineering Course Guided by Involvement in University-Based Professional Development” ASME 2013 Annual Conference
- Chin, J., Zeid, I. Duggan, C., Kamarthi S., “Implementing the Capstone Experience Concept for Teacher Professional Development” ASEE 2012 Annual Conference
- Mega, Y., Duggan, C., Sullivan, D., Horn, L. ,DiMarzio, C. “Young Scholars Program: Summer Research Opportunities for Gifted and Talented Students”, ASEE 2012 Annual Conference
- Chin, J., Zeid, I. Duggan, C., Kamarthi S., “A unique methodology for implementing high school capstone experiences through teacher professional development, “ American Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 2, pp. 17-30 (2011)
- Chin, J., Zeid, I. Duggan, C., Kamarthi S., “Reenergizing and Reengaging Students Interest through CAPSULE, “ IEEE ISEC conference: Best Practices in Integrated STEM Instruction, NJ, (2011)
- Chin, J., Zeid, I. Duggan, C., Kamarthi S., “Implementing the Capstone Experience Concept for Teacher Professional Development: ASEE 118th Annual Conference & Exposition in Vancouver, BC, Canada (2011)
Nov 03, 2020
With a focus on experiential learning and research, the College of Engineering at Northeastern is offering a new undergraduate research program—the Undergraduate Program for Leaders In Future Transformation (UPLIFT). The program is designed to nurture high-potential undergraduate talent through transformative experiential research and learning opportunities. Beginning in their first year of study at Northeastern, UPLIFT […]
Sep 10, 2020
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2019-2020 academic school year.
Jul 01, 2020
College of Engineering faculty, staff, and students, published and presented virtual papers at the American Society for Engineering Education – Virtual National conference.
May 23, 2018
STEAM Go! and the Center for STEM Education present their research at the recent ASEE New England conference
Associate Academic Specialist Jennifer Love and Center for STEM Education Director Claire Duggan recently published and presented their paper “STEAM Go! A School District’s Approach to Implementing New State Science, Technology & Engineering PreK-12 Curriculum Standards” at the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) New England conference at the University of Hartford on April 27, […]
Feb 26, 2018
Two students from a Center for STEM Education summer program were featured in NSF’s tumblr post “You made WHAT last summer?” about their work in MIE Associate Professor Carol Livermore’s lab.
Jun 28, 2017
The Center for STEM Education kicked off its 2017 Young Scholars Program on June 26, 2017, with 26 budding scientists and engineers from high schools at a variety of cities and towns in the Greater Boston area.
May 03, 2017
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2016-2017 academic school year. Faculty Fellow Edward Beighley, CEE Yun Raymond Fu, ECE Tommaso Melodia, ECE Rising Star Staff Award Erin Schnepp, Undergraduate Academic Advising Carolina Venegas-Martinez, CEE Outstanding Teachers of First Year […]
Oct 14, 2016
ECE Professor Bradley Lehman, MIE Associate Professor Marilyn Minus, Assistant Dean Richard Harris, and STEM Director Claire Duggan were awarded a 5-year $5M NSF grant to develop a "Student Pathways Opening World Energy Resources (S-POWER)" program.
Mar 03, 2016
ECE Professor David Kaeli was awarded a $360K NSF grant to develop an REU site to provide students exploring big data problems access to state-of-the-art high performance computing resources.
Oct 27, 2015
STEM Director Claire Duggan was inducted into The Massachusetts Hall of Fame For Science Educators.