Cognitive radio; software engineering-self-controlling software; information fusion
Professor Kokar technical research interests include Information Fusion, Software Engineering, Ontology-Based Computing, and Modeling Languages. In particular, he is interested in higher-level information fusion and situation awareness, ontology-based software radios, the specification and design of self-controlling software using the control theory metaphor, ontology development, ontological annotation of information, logical reasoning about OWL annotated information, consistency checking, formalization of the UML language, consistency checking of UML models vs. UML Metamodel and of UML Metamodel vs. MOF. Dr. Kokar teaches various graduate courses in software engineering, formal methods and artificial intelligence. He has an M.S. and a Ph.D. in computer systems engineering from Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland. He is a senior member of the IEEE and member of the ACM.
- PhD, Wroclaw University of Technology, 1973. Joined Northeastern in 1984.
- Y. Chen, M.M. Kokar, J. Moskal, D. Suresh, Mapping Spectrum Consumption Models to Cognitive Radio Ontology for Automatic Inference, Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, 2017
- J.J. Moskal, M.M. Kokar, V. Roman, R.B. Normoyle, R. P. Guseman, Towards a SpectralSPARQL standard for exchanging EMS knowledge, In MILCOM 2017: Military Communications Conference, IEEE, 2017
- S. Singh, S. Lu, M.M. Kokar, and P.A. Kogut, Detection and Classification of Emergent Behaviors Using Multi-Agent Simulation Framework (WIP), Spring Simulation Multi-Conference, Society for Modeling & Simulation (SCS), 2017
- L. Lechowicz, M.M. Kokar, Cognitive Radio: Interoperability Through Waveform Reconfiguration, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2015
- Y. Chen, M.M. Kokar, J. Moskal, D. Suresh, Mapping Spectrum Consumption Models to Cognitive Radio Ontology for Automatic Inference, Wireless Innovation Forum Conference on Wireless Communications Technologies and Software Defined Radio, Wireless Innovation Forum, 2015, *Best paper award
- D. Suresh, M.M. Kokar, J. Moskal, Y. Chen, Updating CRO to CRO2, In Wireless Innovation Forum Conference on Wireless Communications Technologies and Software Defined Radio, Wireless Innovation Forum, 2015
Jan 26, 2021
ECE Professor Mieczyslaw Kokar received a $1.2M award from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s (DARPA) to work on the Intent-Defined Adaptive Software (IDAS) program.
Jun 05, 2017
ECE Professors Mitch Kokar and Miriam Leeser will work with BAE Systems on DARPA’s CONverged Collaborative Elements for RF Task Operations (CONCERTO) program. According to BAE Systems, CONCERTO focuses on supporting communications, radar, and electronic warfare systems with a flexible RF architecture that uses shared common hardware, enabling multifunction systems that meet the low-SWaP requirements […]
Dec 21, 2015
ECE Professor Mitch Kokar and ECE Graduate Leszek Lechowicz have co-authored a book titled Cognitive Radio: Interoperability Through Waveform Reconfiguration.
May 31, 2015
ECE Professor Mitch Kokar received a $242K two-year grant from the Air Force Research Laboratory to study unexpected behaviors of swarms of dynamical systems.
May 20, 2015
Profs. Miriam Leeser and Mitch Kokar Giving Invited Talks At 2015 New England Workshop for Software Defined Radio (NEWSDR’15)
On Friday, May 22nd, ECE professors Miriam Leeser and Mieczyslaw 'Mitch' Kokar will be giving keynote talks at the 2015 New England Workshop for Software Defined Radio (NEWSDR’15).
Apr 13, 2015
ECE PhD students Durga Suresh, Charu Kalra, and Shweta Singh were chosen to participate in this year's CRA-W Grad Cohort Workshop in San Francisco.
Apr 05, 2015
ECE Professor Mitch Kokar & PhD candidates Yanji Chen & Durga Suresh won a Top Paper Award at the Wireless Innovation Forum Conference on Communications Technologies and Software Defined Radio (WInnComm) in San Diego.
Nov 14, 2014
ECE undergraduate students Neel Shah, Tushar Swamy, and Harrison Dimmig, under the supervision of David Kaeli & Yunsi Fei, won Best Cyber Security Solution for 2014 at the ACSC Annual Conference.
Mar 10, 2011
Congratulations to the recipients of this year's College of Engineering Faculty and Staff awards.