- 360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts 02115
- 317 Egan Research Center
Dr. Sanjeev Mukerjee is a Professor in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology (Northeastern University); where he has been since September of 1998. He also heads the newly created center for Renewable Energy Technology at Northeastern University and its subset the Laboratory for Electrochemical Advanced Power (LEAP). This center aims at enhancing education and research on all aspects of renewable energy and green chemistry with special emphasis on selective charge transfer at electrochemical and photo-electrochemical interfaces. His research on charge transfer dynamics at both two- and three-dimensional electrochemical interfaces encompasses materials development, in situ synchrotron spectroscopy and electro-analytical methods. In addition, new computational initiatives are in progress involving both molecular modeling and simulation of multiple electron scattering in the context of in situ synchrotron XANES method. Peer reviewed publication currently number 150, with an H-factor of 59. The current projects in the group include materials development for new electrocatalysts, polymer electrolyte membranes and high energy density (and capacity) cathode materials for aqueous and non-aqueous storage cells. Fundamental understanding of structure property relationships is in concert with applications.
Among the seminal contributions are, the first demonstration of the power of true element specific in situ x-ray methods for understanding electrocatalysis and intercalation using synchrotron techniques of x-ray scattering and absorption. This was further enhanced by the development of concerted simulation and subtractive methods, which further enabled a study of surface adsorbed species with unprecedented insight. These in concert with materials development on supported noble and non-noble metal nano-materials have shed important understanding of the nature of direct oxidation of complex fuels as well as oxygen reduction and evolution processes. New efforts are underway to create novel materials for photocatalytic oxygen evolution and free radical generation.
Translational activities in concert with fundamental research have led to a partnership with De Nora, and BASF, Proton Onsite, Ford Motor Co., General Motors, Advent North America and Automotive Fuel Cell Corporation (Canada). Federal funding comes from the Army Research Office, Department of Energy, National Science Foundation, Air Force Office of Scientific Research and ARPA-E.
- 1994 Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- 1986 M. Tech., Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Q. Jia, N. Ramaswamy, U. Tylus, K. Strickland, J. Li, A. Serov, K. Artyushkova, P. Atanassov, J. Anibal, C. Gumeci, S. Calabrese Barton, M.-T. Sougrati,.F. Jaouen, B. Halevi, S. Mukerjee, Spectroscopic Insights into the Nature of Active Sites in Iron-Nitrogen-Carbon Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction in Acid and the Redox Mechanisms, Nano Energy, 2016, A290-A301
- M.K. Bates, Q. Jia, H. Doan, W. Liang, S. Mukerjee, Charge-Transfer Effects in Ni−Fe and Ni−Fe−Co Mixed-Metal Oxides for the Alkaline Oxygen Evolution Reaction, ACS Catalysis, 6, 2016, 155-161
- Q. Jia, J. Li, K. Caldwell, D.E. Ramaker, J.M. Ziegelbauer, R.S. Kukreja, A. Kongkanand, S. Mukerjee, Circumventing Metal Dissolution Induced Degradation of Pt-Alloy Catalysts in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells: Revealing the Asymmetric Volcano Nature of Redox Catalysis, ACS Catalysis, 6, 2016, 928-938
- E. Bayram, G. Yilmaz, S. Mukerjee, A Solution-Based Procedure for Synthesis of Nitrogen Doped Graphene as an Efficient Electrocatalyst for Oxygen Reduction Reactions in Acidic and Alkaline Electrolytes, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 192, 2016, 26-34
- G. Lin, P.Y. Chong, V. Yarlagadda, T.V. Nguyen, R.J.Wycisk, P.N. Pintauro, M. Bates, S. Mukerjee, M.C. Tucker, A.Z. Weber, Advanced Hydrogen-Bromine Flow Batteries with Improved Efficiency, Durability and Cost, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163(1), 2016, A5049
- K. Strickland, E. Miner, Q. Jia, U. Tylus, N. Ramaswamy, W. Liang, M.-T. Sougrati, F. Jaouen, S. Mukerjee, Highly Active Oxygen Reduction Non-Platinum Group Metal Electrocatalyst Without Direct Metal–Nitrogen Coordination, Nature Communications, 6, 2015, 7343
Mar 22, 2016
23 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY17 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 12 different projects representing over $600K dollars of investment in research.
Dec 03, 2015
ChE professor Laura Lewis and ECE professor Ali Abur are on a list of innovative cleantech inititatives that might be funded by the Breakthrough Energy Coalition led by Bill Gates.
Apr 04, 2012
27 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY13 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 21 different research projects.
Apr 06, 2011
28 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY12 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 18 different research projects.