Artificial Intelligence: Machine Learning and Computational Intelligence, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Big Data Mining and Social Media Analytics.
Yun Raymond Fu received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is an interdisciplinary faculty member affiliated with College of Engineering and the Khoury College of Computer Sciences at Northeastern University since 2012. His research interests are Machine Learning, Computational Intelligence, Big Data Mining, Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, and Cyber-Physical Systems. He has extensive publications in leading journals, books/book chapters and international conferences/workshops. He serves as associate editor, chairs, PC member and reviewer of many top journals and international conferences/workshops. He received seven Prestigious Young Investigator Awards from NAE, ONR, ARO, IEEE, INNS, UIUC, Grainger Foundation; eleven Best Paper Awards from IEEE, ACM, IAPR, SPIE, SIAM; many major Industrial Research Awards from Google, Samsung, Konica Minolta, Zebra, Adobe, and Mathworks, etc. He is currently an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Leaning Systems (TNNLS). He is fellow of IEEE, IAPR, OSA and SPIE, a Lifetime Distinguished Member of ACM, Lifetime Member of AAAI and Institute of Mathematical Statistics, member of ACM Future of Computing Academy, Global Young Academy, AAAS, INNS and Beckman Graduate Fellow during 2007-2008. He is also a serial entrepreneur for technology commercialization. He was the Founder of Giaran which was acquired by Shiseido in 2017, the largest multinational cosmetic firm in Japan.
- PhD, University of Illinois, 2008. Joined Northeastern in 2012.
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Faculty Fellow
- Fellow of IEEE, IAPR, OSA and SPIE
- Army Research Office Young Investigator Award
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award
- International Neural Network Society’s Young Investigator Award
- Søren Buus Outstanding Research Award
- Grainger Foundation Frontiers of Engineering Award
- J.P. Robinson, M. Shao, Y. Wu, H. Liu, T. Gillis, Y. Fu, Visual Kinship Recognition of Families In the Wild (FIW), IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), 2018
- H. Liu, Z.g Tao, Y. Fu, Partition Level Constrained Clustering, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), 2018
- S. Li, M. Shao, Y. Fu, Person Re-identication by Cross-View Multi-Level Dictionary Learning, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), 2018
- K. Li, Z. Wu, K.C. Peng, J.Ernst, Y. Fu, Tell Me Where To Look: Guided Attention Inference Network, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2018
- Y. Zhang, Y.Tian, Y.Kong, B. Zhong Y. Fu, Residual Dense Network for Image Super-Resolution, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2018
Feb 22, 2021
PhD computer engineering student Zaid Khan, PhD’24, and ECE/Khoury Professor Raymond Fu are working to remove racial bias out of facial recognition programs.
Feb 12, 2021
ECE Professor Raymond Fu’s research was featured in the VentureBeat article “Researchers find that labels in computer vision datasets poorly capture racial diversity.”
Nov 23, 2020
Computer Engineering graduate student Joseph Robinson, PhD’20, received the Outstanding Reviewer Award at the 15th IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition.
Nov 13, 2020
ECE/Khoury Professor Yun Raymond Fu was awarded a patent for “Segmentation guided image generation with adversarial networks”.
Oct 30, 2020
ECE/Khoury Professor Yun “Raymond” Fu’s received the second $100k Gift from Konica Minolta which will support his research on generic video understanding.
Jul 28, 2020
ECE/Khoury Professor Yun Raymond Fu was awarded a patent for “System for beauty, cosmetic, and fashion analysis”.
Mar 31, 2020
ECE/Koury Professor Yun Raymond Fu’s research proposal Reinforced Graph-Structured Expert Model for Business Intelligence was recently accepted and awarded into the 2020 Faculty Research Awards Program through JPMorgan Chase AI Research Team.
Jan 07, 2020
Computer Engineering PhD student Joseph Robinson’s research on kinship recognition was featured in “Recognizing Families in the Wild (RFIW)” as the challenge of the month in Computer Vision News.
Jan 03, 2020
Computer Engineering PhD student Joseph Robinson’s research on kinship recognition was featured in the Communications of the ACM article “Recognizing Kin”.
Nov 26, 2019
ECE Professor Raymond Fu awarded a $390k grant from the Office of Army Research for “Images Assisted Video Recognition by Heterogeneous Knowledge Transfer.”