Associate Academic Specialist, First Year Engineering Program
- 360 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 02115
- 313 Snell Engineering
Reebok International (1997 – 2005): Performance Engineer/Sports Biomechanist in Reebok’s Human Performance Engineering Lab.
Haemonetics Corporation (1993 – 1995): Research & Development Engineering in Haemonetics R&D Engineering department.
- In Progress: EdD Doctorate in Education, Northeastern University
- MS (1997) Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa
- BS (1993) Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Honors & Awards
- 2018 Outstanding Teachers of First Year Engineering Students – Engineering Award, College of Engineering, Northeastern University.
- Honorable Mention in the Vernier Engineering Contest, 2014
- The Effective or Innovative Use of Technology in Teaching Award – Course Enhancement. Awarded by Northeastern University’s EdTech Center, Spring 2006.
- Ocif*, J., Sabick, M., “A shoe-mounted ultrasonic 3D motion tracking system for training and competition,” U.S. Olympic Committee, Sports Science & Technology Division, Colorado Springs. Winner – Engineering Design Contest 1996.
engineering education; makerspaces; experiential learning; project-based learning; problem-based learning; Arduino, laser cutting, 3D printing, C++, MATLAB, AutoCAD, SolidWorks.
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Link Engineering, National Academy of Engineering
- Whalen, R., Freeman, S.F., Love, J.O., Grahame, K.S., Hertz, J.L. (2018) Evolution to Cornerstone: Creating a First-Year Culture with a Multifaceted Approach. 2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Salt Lake City, UT. June 24-27. Paper ID#22932
- Love, J., Duggan, C., and Martin, E. (2018) STEAM Go! A School District’s Approach to Implementing New State Science, Technology & Engineering PreK – 12 Curriculum Standards 2018 ASEE Northeast Section Conference, Hartford, CT
- Freeman, S.F., Pfluger, C., Whalen, R., Grahame, K.S., Hertz, J.L., Variawa, C., Love, J.O., Sivak, M.L., and Maheswaran, B. (2016) Cranking Up Cornerstone: Lessons Learned from Implementing a Pilot with First-Year Engineering Students. 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, LA, ISBN 978-0-692-68565-5
- Love, J.O., Freeman, S.F., Jaeger-Helton, B.K., and Whalen, R. (2015) No lab? No shop? No problem: Intentional design of a First Year Engineering Learning Center with enlightening outcomes. American Society for Engineering Education Conference Proceedings, Seattle, WA, Paper ID#13479.
- Love, J, Freeman, S and Sullivan, D, (2014). What Sticks with First Year Engineering Students and Engineering Faculty in STEM Education Service-Learning Projects, Proceedings of American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Jennifer Ocif* (quoted in book on p.30) (2009). Engineers Make a Difference: Motivating Students to Pursue an Engineering Education, Baine, C. (ed.), Engineering Education Service Center, Springfield, OR, ISBN 978-0981930008.
- Hansberry, E. and Love, J. (2007). “The Multidisciplinary Environment of Engineering Design Graphics”, Proceedings of American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition.
- Cappaert, J., Ocif*, J., and Rich, B. (2005). “Inter & Intra-Subject Classifications of Outsole Wear in Running Shoes“, Reebok International, International Society of Biomechanics Footwear Symposium Proceedings.
- Ocif*, J., Cappaert, J., and Rich, R., (2004). “A method for using an ultrasonic thickness gauge to assess outsole wear in running shoe“.Northeast Bioengineering IEEE Conference Proceedings.
- Jennifer Ocif* (featured in chapter on pp. 10, 11, and 67) (2004). High Tech Hot Shots: Careers in Sports Engineering, Baine, C. (ed.), National Society of Professional Engineers, Alexandria, Virginia, ISBN 978-0915409235.
- Ocif*, J., Gardner, C., Albright, J., and Pope, M. (2000). “A Method for Analyzing Standing and Reactive Balance and Neuromuscular Responses of the Spine and Lower Extremities (Chapter 15)”Proprioception and Neuromuscular Control in Joint Stability, Lephart, S.M. and Fu, F.H. (ed.), Human Kinetics, Champaign, Illinois, ISBN 978-0880118644.
Jul 01, 2020
College of Engineering faculty, staff, and students, published and presented virtual papers at the American Society for Engineering Education – Virtual National conference.
May 23, 2018
STEAM Go! and the Center for STEM Education present their research at the recent ASEE New England conference
Associate Academic Specialist Jennifer Love and Center for STEM Education Director Claire Duggan recently published and presented their paper “STEAM Go! A School District’s Approach to Implementing New State Science, Technology & Engineering PreK-12 Curriculum Standards” at the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) New England conference at the University of Hartford on April 27, […]
May 01, 2018
Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2017-2018 academic school year.
Jul 10, 2017
FYELIC Associate Academic Specialist Jennifer Love will be leveraging her classroom experiences in problem-based learning (PBL), experiential learning, makerspaces, grades preK-20 STEM education, the Next Generation Science Standards and teacher professional development to serve as a NExT Institute Mentor. She is also currently working on her EdD at Northeastern University with a research focus on […]
Jun 26, 2017
CAMD/COE Assistant Teaching Professor Mark Sivak and FYELC Associate Academic Specialist Jennifer Love demonstrated their use of 3D printing at TEXPO, Information Technology Services’ third annual Teaching and Technology Expo.
Dec 14, 2016
First year engineering students in Associate Academic Specialist Jennifer Love’s Cornerstone of Engineering course displayed their projects at a Design Expo that showcased how they solved authentic engineering problem for a particular group of humans, animals or other living things.
Dec 07, 2015
Associate Academic Specialist Jennifer Love invited local high school students to come and judge her first year engineering student's Alternative Energy Vehicles (AEV).
Aug 26, 2015
Jennifer Love, Associate Academic Specialist in the First Year Engineering Program, featured in NAE's comprehensive new online educator exchange website LinkEngineering's first blog.
Jul 31, 2015
A new Sustainable Energy Systems minor is now available for all undergraduate students which includes the new course GE 3300 Energy Systems: Science, Technology and Sustainability.
Feb 27, 2015
Associate Academic Specialist Jennifer Love's Alternative Energy Vehicle Kits were featured as examples of what Northeastern's 3D Printing Studio is creating. The kits are part of her GE 1110 Engineering Design course that they work on in the First Year Engineering Learning and Innovation Center. The 3D Printing studio, which Mark Sivak directs, offers the […]