Feedback control theory, systems biology, cancer, and biomedicine
- PhD, University of Florida, 1977
Honors & Awards
- IEEE Control Systems Field Award
- IFAC Fellow
- AMS Fellow
- SIAM Fellow
- IEEE Fellow
- Reid Prize in Applied Mathematics, SIAM
- E.V. Nikolaev, S.J. Rahi, E.D. Sontag, Chaos in Simple Periodically-Forced Biological Models, Biophysical Journal, 114, 2018, 1232-1240
- T.H. Segall-Shapiro, E.D. Sontag, C.A. Voigt, Engineered Promoters Enable Constant Gene Expression at any Copy Number in Bacteria, Nature Biotechnology, 36, 2018, 352-358
- J.K. Kim, E.D. Sontag, Reduction of Multiscale Stochastic Biochemical Reaction Networks Using Exact Moment Derivation, PLoS Computational Biology, 13(6), 2017, e1005571
- E.D. Sontag, A Dynamical Model of Immune Responses to Antigen Presentation Predicts Different Regions of Tumor or Pathogen Elimination, Cell Systems, 4, 2017, 1-11
- E.D. Sontag, Dynamic Compensation, Parameter Identifiability, and Equivariances, PLoS Computational Biology, 13, 2017, 1005447
- S. Barish, M.F. Ochs, E.D. Sontag, J.L. Gevertz, Evaluating Optimal Therapy Robustness by Virtual Expansion of a Sample Population, with a Case Study in Cancer Immunotherapy, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114, 2017, 6277-6286
- E.V. Nikolaev, E.D. Sontag, Quorum-Sensing Synchronization of Synthetic Toggle Switches: A Design Based on Monotone Dynamical Systems Theory, PLoS Computational Biology, 12, 2016, e1004881
May 20, 2020
ECE/BioE Professor Eduardo Sontag gave the opening keynote talk on “Some Control Theory Ideas in Systems and Synthetic Biology” virtually at the 2020 European Control Conference at St Petersburg, Russia.
Jan 13, 2020
ECE/BioE Professor Eduardo Sontag’s research on “in vitro implementation of robust gene regulation in a synthetic biomolecular integral controller” was published in Nature Communications.
Feb 19, 2019
BioE University Distinguished Professor Eduardo Sontag’s research has been published in Public Library of Science (PLOS) Computational Biology, a non-profit, peer-reviewed journal, entitled “Multi-modality in gene regulatory networks with slow promoter kinetics”.
Jan 29, 2019
BioE University Distinguished Professor Eduardo Sontag’s research entitled “Immunobiochemical Reconstruction of Influenza Lung Infection—Melanoma Skin Cancer Interactions” has been published in Frontiers in Immunology, a leading journal in its field.
Jul 17, 2018
ECE/BioE Professor Eduardo Sontag, in collaboration with Dr. Chris Voigt from MIT and Dr. Kate Adamala from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, was awarded a $1.5M three-year grant jointly funded from the National Science Foundation and Semiconductor Research Corporation for “Very Large-Scale Genetic Circuit Design Automation”.
Mar 28, 2018
University Distinguished Professor Eduardo Sontag developed a new technique that would give researchers the ability to control the behavior of engineered cells.
Jan 08, 2018
Eduardo Sontag joins the Electrical and Computer Engineering department in January 2018 as a University Distinguished Professor with a joint appointment in Bioengineering.